(1) A person commits the offense of violation of posted weight limits if the person does any of the following:
(a) Drives or moves on a highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles that exceed any weight limits imposed on the highway or portion of highway and indicated by appropriate signs giving notice of the limits.
(b) Owns a vehicle or combination of vehicles and causes or permits the vehicle or combination of vehicles to be driven or moved on a highway when the vehicle or combination exceeds any weight limits imposed on the highway or portion of highway and indicated by appropriate signs giving notice of the limits. Operation of any vehicle or combination of vehicles in violation of this section is prima facie evidence that the owner of the vehicle or combination caused or permitted the vehicle or combination to be so operated and the owner shall be liable for any penalties imposed under subsection (5) of this section as a result of the operation.
(2) The authority to establish and change weight limits for purposes of the prohibitions and penalties under this section is under ORS 810.030.
(3) The application of this section is subject to the exemptions from this section established under ORS 818.050.
(4) Violation of the offense described in this section is subject to civil liability under ORS 818.410.
(5) The offense described in this section, violation of posted weight limits, is punishable as provided under Schedule III of the penalties under ORS 818.430. The penalties under this subsection are in addition to any suspension of driving privileges under ORS 809.120 or any suspension of vehicle registration under ORS 809.120. [1983 c.338 §510]Section: Previous 818.010 818.012 818.020 818.030 818.040 818.050 818.060 818.070 818.080 818.090 818.100 818.105 818.110 818.120 818.130 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008