(1) At every farm or private grade crossing of a railroad where no automatic grade crossing protective device is installed, the railroad shall cause to be installed and maintained, as a means of protecting the crossing, one or more stop signs.
(2) The Department of Transportation shall, after hearing, unless hearing is not required under ORS 824.214, prescribe the number, type and location of the stop signs and may exempt a farm or private grade crossing if the department finds that the installation of such sign or signs at the crossing would create a hazard or dangerous condition that would not otherwise exist.
(3) After notice to any affected landowner and opportunity for a hearing, unless a hearing is not required under ORS 824.214, the Department of Transportation may alter, relocate or close any farm or private grade crossing on any line designated as a high speed rail system.
(4) If the department decides to alter, relocate or close a farm or private grade crossing in such a manner as to constitute a taking of private property, the department shall exercise its power of eminent domain to acquire such property as is necessary to carry out the decision. A department order under this subsection shall constitute a resolution of necessity for exercise of the departmentís power of eminent domain.
(5) If the department exercises its power of eminent domain under subsection (4) of this section, the department shall use any combination of state or federal funds allocated for high speed rail systems to pay any settlement with or judgment in favor of an owner of a farm or private grade crossing. The department shall have discretion to determine whether to reach a settlement with an owner of a farm or private grade crossing.
(6) The costs of implementing a department order issued under subsection (3) of this section shall be apportioned to any combination of state or federal funds specifically allocated for high speed rail systems as the department determines appropriate in order to eliminate farm or private grade crossings or to enhance safety at such crossings. [Formerly 763.130; 1997 c.249 §255; 1997 c.275 §20]Section: Previous 824.212 824.214 824.216 824.218 824.220 824.222 824.223 824.224 824.226 824.228 824.230 824.232 824.234 824.236 824.238 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008