(1) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, in addition to any other right to revoke an offer or rescind a transaction that the buyer may have, the buyer has the right to cancel a home solicitation sale until 12 midnight of the third business day after the day on which the buyer signs an agreement or offer to purchase that complies with ORS 83.710 to 83.750 or pays by cash or check.
(2) Cancellation occurs when the buyer gives written notice of cancellation to the seller at the address stated in the agreement or offer to purchase.
(3) Notice of cancellation, if given by mail, is given when it is deposited in a mailbox properly addressed and postage prepaid.
(4) Notice of cancellation given by the buyer need not take a particular form and is sufficient if it indicates by a form of written expression the intention of the buyer not to be bound by the home solicitation sale.
(5) The buyer may not cancel a home solicitation sale if the buyer initiates the contact with the seller and the buyer, in a separate signed writing not furnished by the seller, requests that the seller provide goods or services without delay because of an emergency, describes the emergency and expressly acknowledges and waives the right to cancel the sale within three business days, and:
(a) The seller in good faith makes a substantial beginning of performance of the contract before the buyer gives notice of cancellation; and
(b) In case of goods, the goods cannot be returned to the seller in substantially as good condition as when received by the buyer. [1971 c.744 §21(2); 2005 c.223 §2]Section: Previous 83.640 83.650 83.660 83.670 83.680 83.710 83.715 83.720 83.730 83.740 83.750 83.810 83.811 83.813 83.820 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008