(1) The board of directors of an association may act on behalf of the association except as limited by the declaration and the bylaws. In the performance of their duties, officers and members of the board of directors are governed by this section and the applicable provisions of ORS 65.357, 65.361, 65.367, 65.369 and 65.377, whether or not the association is incorporated under ORS chapter 65.
(2) Unless otherwise provided in the bylaws, the board of directors may fill vacancies in its membership for the unexpired portion of any term.
(3) At least annually, the board of directors of an association shall review the insurance coverage of the association.
(4) The board of directors of the association annually shall cause to be filed the necessary income tax returns for the association.
(5) The board of directors of the association may record a statement of association information as provided in ORS 94.667.
(6) Unless otherwise provided in the declaration or bylaws:
(a) The owners may remove any member of the board of directors, other than members appointed by the declarant or persons who are ex officio directors, with or without cause, by a majority vote of all owners present and entitled to vote at any meeting of the owners at which a quorum is present.
(b) Removal of a director is not effective unless the matter of removal is an item on the agenda and stated in the notice for the meeting required under ORS 94.650.
(7)(a) All meetings of the board of directors of the association shall be open to owners, except that at the discretion of the board the following matters may be considered in executive session:
(A) Consultation with legal counsel concerning the rights and duties of the association regarding existing or potential litigation, or criminal matters;
(B) Personnel matters, including salary negotiations and employee discipline;
(C) Negotiation of contracts with third parties; and
(D) Collection of unpaid assessments.
(b) Except in the case of an emergency, the board of directors of an association shall vote in an open meeting whether to meet in executive session. If the board of directors votes to meet in executive session, the presiding officer of the board of directors shall state the general nature of the action to be considered and, as precisely as possible, when and under what circumstances the deliberations can be disclosed to owners. The statement, motion or decision to meet in executive session must be included in the minutes of the meeting.
(c) A contract or an action considered in executive session does not become effective unless the board of directors, following the executive session, reconvenes in open meeting and votes on the contract or an action, which must be reasonably identified in the open meeting and included in the minutes.
(d) The meeting and notice requirements in this section may not be circumvented by chance or social meetings or by any other means.
(8) In a planned community in which the majority of the lots are the principal residences of the occupants, meetings of the board of directors must comply with the following:
(a) For other than emergency meetings, notice of board of directors’ meetings shall be posted at a place or places on the property at least three days prior to the meeting or notice shall be provided by a method otherwise reasonably calculated to inform lot owners of such meetings;
(b) Emergency meetings may be held without notice, if the reason for the emergency is stated in the minutes of the meeting; and
(c) Only emergency meetings of the board of directors may be conducted by telephonic communication or by the use of a means of communication that allows all members of the board of directors participating to hear each other simultaneously or otherwise to be able to communicate during the meeting. A member of the board of directors participating in a meeting by this means is deemed to be present in person at the meeting.
(9) The board of directors, in the name of the association, shall maintain a current mailing address of the association.
(10) The board of directors shall cause the information required to enable the association to comply with ORS 94.670 (7) to be maintained and kept current.
(11) As used in this section, “meeting” means a convening of a quorum of members of the board of directors where matters relating to association business are discussed, except a convening of a quorum of members of the board of directors for the purpose of participating in litigation, mediation or arbitration proceedings. [1981 c.782 §38; 1983 c.206 §4; 1999 c.677 §15; 2001 c.756 §15; 2003 c.569 §12]Section: Previous 94.620 94.621 94.622 94.623 94.625 94.630 94.635 94.640 94.641 94.642 94.645 94.647 94.650 94.652 94.655 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008