§ 9307. Location of debtor.
(a) Place of business.--As used in this section, the term "place of business" means a place where a debtor conducts its affairs.
(b) Debtor's location: general rules.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, the following rules determine a debtor's location:
(1) A debtor who is an individual is located at the individual's principal residence.
(2) A debtor which is an organization and has only one place of business is located at its place of business.
(3) A debtor which is an organization and has more than one place of business is located at its chief executive office.
(c) Limitation of applicability of subsection (b).--Subsection (b) applies only if a debtor's residence, place of business or chief executive office, as applicable, is located in a jurisdiction whose law generally requires information concerning the existence of a nonpossessory security interest to be made generally available in a filing, recording or registration system as a condition or result of the security interest's obtaining priority over the rights of a lien creditor with respect to the collateral. If subsection (b) does not apply, the debtor is located in the District of Columbia.
(d) Continuation of location: cessation of existence, etc.--A person that ceases to exist, ceases to have a residence or ceases to have a place of business continues to be located in the jurisdiction specified by subsections (b) and (c).
(e) Location of registered organization organized under state law.--A registered organization which is organized under the law of a state is located in that state.
(f) Location of registered organization organized under Federal law; bank branches and agencies.--Except as otherwise provided in subsection (i), a registered organization which is organized under the law of the United States and a branch or agency of a bank which is not organized under the law of the United States or a state are located:
(1) in the state which the law of the United States designates, if the law designates a state of location;
(2) in the state which the registered organization, branch or agency designates, if the law of the United States authorizes the registered organization, branch or agency to designate its state of location, including by designating its main office, home office or other comparable office; or
(3) in the District of Columbia, if neither paragraph (1) nor paragraph (2) applies.
(g) Continuation of location: change in status of registered organization.--A registered organization continues to be located in the jurisdiction specified by subsection (e) or (f) notwithstanding:
(1) the suspension, revocation, forfeiture or lapse of the registered organization's status as such in its jurisdiction of organization; or
(2) the dissolution, winding up or cancellation of the existence of the registered organization.
(h) Location of United States.--The location of the United States is the District of Columbia.
(i) Location of foreign bank branch or agency if licensed in only one state.--A branch or agency of a bank which is not organized under the law of the United States or a state is located in the state in which the branch or agency is licensed, if all branches and agencies of the bank are licensed in only one state.
(j) Location of foreign air carrier.--A foreign air carrier under the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 (Public Law 85-726, 72 Stat. 731), as amended, is located at the designated office of the agent upon which service of process may be made on behalf of the carrier.
(k) Section applies only to this chapter.--This section applies only for purposes of this chapter.
(June 27, 2013, P.L.154, No.30, eff. July 1, 2013)
2013 Amendment. Act 30 amended subsec. (f)(2).Section: Previous 9301 9302 9303 9304 9305 9306 9307 9308 9309 9310 9311 9312 9313 9314 Next
Last modified: October 8, 2016