Sec. 96.708. LAMAR UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR EXCELLENCE IN DEAF STUDIES AND DEAF EDUCATION. (a) In this section:
(1) "Board" means the board of regents of the Texas State University System.
(2) "Center" means the Lamar University Center for Excellence in Deaf Studies and Deaf Education.
(b) The board shall establish the Lamar University Center for Excellence in Deaf Studies and Deaf Education for the purposes of advancing deaf education programs in Texas by:
(1) collaborating with the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services and the Texas School for the Deaf to assess deaf education needs in this state and strategies to address those needs;
(2) studying bilingual education programs for the deaf;
(3) studying improved teacher training; and
(4) studying the incorporation of technology into deaf education.
(c) The center shall develop a strategic plan to guide and evaluate the center's progress toward achieving the purposes of the center in accordance with this section. The strategic plan must:
(1) describe the goals, objectives, and performance standards for each of the center's programs and how those programs help the center to achieve its purposes;
(2) assess the needs of the center's programs and faculty; and
(3) assess the center's need for new initiatives.
(d) The organization, control, and management of the center are vested in the board.
(e) The board shall select a location for the center at Lamar University.
(f) The board may solicit, accept, and administer gifts and grants from any public or private source for the use and benefit of the center.
(g) The board may use any available funds, including legislative appropriations made to Lamar University for instruction, operations, or infrastructure support, federal funds, or gifts or grants to establish or operate the center.
Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1009 (H.B. 868), Sec. 1, eff. June 18, 2005.Section: Previous 96.62 96.63 96.64 96.641 96.645 96.65 96.651 96.652 96.701 96.702 96.703 96.704 96.705 96.706 96.707
Last modified: September 28, 2016