Art. 6228e. FORMER TEXAS RANGERS AND THEIR WIDOWS.
Sec. 1. (a) Pensions to Former Texas Rangers. A pension of Eighty Dollars ($80.00) per month shall be paid to each former Texas Ranger who meets the following conditions:
(1) He served as a regular Texas Ranger, receiving compensation from the state, for an aggregate time of at least two (2) years prior to September 1, 1947. Service as a special Texas Ranger, although compensated from state funds, shall not be counted;
(2) He has not been eligible at any time for membership in the Employees Retirement System of Texas;
(3) He was not dismissed from service as a Texas Ranger for incompetence, misconduct, or breach of duty;
(4) He has reached the age of sixty (60) years.
(b) Pensions to Widows of Former Texas Rangers. A pension of Eighty Dollars ($80.00) per month shall also be paid to the widow of each former Texas Ranger who meets the following conditions:
(1) The widow was legally married to a Texas Ranger or former Texas Ranger prior to January 1, 1957, and at the time of his death;
(2) Her husband met the conditions set out in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of subsection (a) of this Section.
Sec. 2. The pensions provided for in this Act shall be paid from the Confederate Pension Fund created by Section 17, Article VII of the Constitution of Texas, upon warrants of the Comptroller of Public Accounts. Persons entitled to pensions under this Act shall make application to the Comptroller of Public Accounts. Said application shall recite facts showing that the applicant meets the qualifications set out in Sections 1(a) or 1(b) of this Act depending upon the status of the applicant, shall be accompanied by a certificate executed by the custodian of the service record of the applicant, or of the applicant's deceased husband as the case may be, showing the applicant's qualifications under paragraphs (1) and (3) of Subsection (a) of Section 1 of this Act, provided however, that such certificate shall not be required for applicants (or their widows) whose service in the Texas Rangers was for periods prior to the year 1922 and in such instances such applicants must satisfy the Comptroller of Public Accounts that such former Texas Ranger meets the qualifications set out in paragraphs (1) and (3) of Subsection (a) of Section 1 of this Act, and shall be sworn to by the applicant. Full monthly payment shall be made for each month commencing with the month in which the completed application is filed and ending with the month in which the recipient dies.
Sec. 3. There is hereby appropriated to the Comptroller of Public Accounts, out of the Confederate Pension Fund, whatever amount is necessary to pay the pensions authorized by this Act during the period between the effective date of this Act and August 31, 1959.
There is further appropriated to the Comptroller of Public Accounts, out of the Confederate Pension Fund, whatever amount is necessary to pay the pensions authorized by this Act during the biennium beginning September 1, 1959, and ending August 31, 1961.
Acts 1959, 56th Leg., p. 629, ch. 283. Amended by Acts 1967, 60th Leg., p. 1048, ch. 459, Sec. 1, eff. June 12, 1967.Article: Previous 6226 6227 6227a 6228 6228a-5 6228a-6 6228d 6228e 6228h 6228j 6243a-1 6243b 6243c 6243d 6243d-1 Next
Last modified: September 28, 2016