§ 55-225.3. Landlord to maintain dwelling unit
A. The landlord shall:
1. Comply with the requirements of applicable building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety;
2. Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition;
3. Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him;
4. Supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times and reasonable air conditioning if provided and heat in season except where the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat, air conditioning or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant or supplied by a direct public utility connection; and
5. Maintain the premises in such a condition as to prevent the accumulation of moisture and the growth of mold and to promptly respond to any notices as provided in subdivision A 8 of § 55-225.4.
B. The landlord shall perform the duties imposed by subsection A in accordance with law; however, the landlord shall be liable only for the tenant's actual damages proximately caused by the landlord's failure to exercise ordinary care.
C. If the duty imposed by subdivision A 1 is greater than any duty imposed by any other subdivision of that subsection, the landlord's duty shall be determined by reference to subdivision A 1.
D. The landlord and tenant may agree in writing that the tenant perform the landlord's duties specified in subdivisions A 2, 3, and 4 and also specified repairs, maintenance tasks, alterations and remodeling, but only if the transaction is entered into in good faith and not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord.
(2001, c. 524; 2008, cc. 489, 640.)Sections: Previous 55-222 55-222.1 55-223 55-224 55-225 55-225.1 55-225.2 55-225.3 55-225.4 55-225.5 55-225.6 55-225.7 55-225.8 55-225.9 55-226 Next
Last modified: April 16, 2009