§ 64.34.316. Special declarant rights -- Transfer
(1) No special declarant right, as described in *RCW 64.34.020(29), created or reserved under this chapter may be transferred except by an instrument evidencing the transfer executed by the declarant or the declarant's successor and the transferee is recorded in every county in which any portion of the condominium is located. Each unit owner shall receive a copy of the recorded instrument, but the failure to furnish the copy shall not invalidate the transfer.
(2) Upon transfer of any special declarant right, the liability of a transferor declarant is as follows:
(a) A transferor is not relieved of any obligation or liability arising before the transfer and remains liable for warranty obligations imposed upon the transferor by this chapter. Lack of privity does not deprive any unit owner of standing to maintain an action to enforce any obligation of the transferor.
(b) If a successor to any special declarant right is an affiliate of a declarant as described in RCW 64.34.020(1), the transferor is jointly and severally liable with the successor for any obligations or liabilities of the successor relating to the condominium.
(c) If a transferor retains any special declarant right, but transfers other special declarant rights to a successor who is not an affiliate of the declarant, the transferor is liable for any obligations or liabilities imposed on a declarant by this chapter or by the declaration relating to the retained special declarant rights arising after the transfer.
(d) A transferor has no liability for any act or omission or any breach of a contractual or warranty obligation arising from the exercise of a special declarant right by a successor declarant who is not an affiliate of the transferor.
(3) In case of foreclosure of a mortgage, tax sale, judicial sale, or sale under bankruptcy code or receivership proceedings of any unit owned by a declarant or real property in a condominium subject to development rights, a person acquiring title to all the real property being foreclosed or sold succeeds to all special declarant rights related to that real property held by that declarant and to any rights reserved in the declaration pursuant to RCW 64.34.256 and held by that declarant to maintain models, sales offices, and signs, unless such person requests that all or any of such rights not be transferred. The instrument conveying title shall describe any special declarant rights not being transferred.
(4) Upon foreclosure of a mortgage, tax sale, judicial sale, or sale under bankruptcy code or receivership proceedings of all units and other real property in a condominium owned by a declarant:
(a) The declarant ceases to have any special declarant rights; and
(b) The period of declarant control as described in RCW 64.34.308(4) terminates unless the judgment or instrument conveying title provides for transfer of all special declarant rights held by that declarant to a successor declarant.
(5) The liabilities and obligations of a person who succeeds to special declarant rights are as follows:
(a) A successor to any special declarant right who is an affiliate of a declarant is subject to all obligations and liabilities imposed on the transferor by this chapter or by the declaration;
(b) A successor to any special declarant right, other than a successor described in (c) or (d) of this subsection, who is not an affiliate of a declarant is subject to all obligations and liabilities imposed by this chapter or the declaration:
(i) On a declarant which relate to such successor's exercise or nonexercise of special declarant rights; or
(ii) On the declarant's transferor, other than:
(A) Misrepresentations by any previous declarant;
(B) Warranty obligations on improvements made by any previous declarant or made before the condominium was created;
(C) Breach of any fiduciary obligation by any previous declarant or the declarant's appointees to the board of directors; or
(D) Any liability or obligation imposed on the transferor as a result of the transferor's acts or omissions after the transfer;
(c) A successor to only a right reserved in the declaration to maintain models, sales offices, and signs as described in RCW 64.34.256, if the successor is not an affiliate of a declarant, may not exercise any other special declarant right and is not subject to any liability or obligation as a declarant, except the obligation to provide a public offering statement and any liability arising as a result thereof;
(d) A successor to all special declarant rights held by the successor's transferor who is not an affiliate of that declarant and who succeeded to those rights pursuant to a foreclosure, a deed in lieu of foreclosure, or a judgment or instrument conveying title to units under subsection (3) of this section may declare his or her intention in a recorded instrument to hold those rights solely for transfer to another person. Thereafter, until transferring all special declarant rights to any person acquiring title to any unit owned by the successor or until recording an instrument permitting exercise of all those rights, that successor may not exercise any of those rights other than any right held by the successor's transferor to control the board of directors in accordance with the provisions of RCW 64.34.308(4) for the duration of any period of declarant control, and any attempted exercise of those rights is void. So long as a successor declarant may not exercise special declarant rights under this subsection, the successor is not subject to any liability or obligation as a declarant other than liability for the successor's acts and omissions under RCW 64.34.308(4);
(e) Nothing in this section subjects any successor to a special declarant right to any claims against or other obligations of a transferor declarant, other than claims and obligations arising under this chapter or the declaration.
[1989 c 43 § 3-105.]
*Reviser's note: RCW 64.34.020 was amended by 2008 c 115 § 8, changing subsection (29) to subsection (36).
Last modified: April 7, 2009