(a) No individual under 16 years of age shall be employed, permitted, or suffered to work at any of the following occupations, positions, or places:
(1) Operating or assisting in operating any sandpaper or wood polishing machinery, any washing, grinding, or mixing machinery, or commercial laundry equipment.
(2) Operating or assisting in operating any machines used in picking wool, cotton, hair, or any other material.
(3) In any work in or about a rolling mill, machine shop, or manufacturing establishment which is hazardous or dangerous to health, limb, or life.
(4) In proximity to any hazardous or unguarded gearing.
(5) Upon any vessel or boat engaged in navigation or commerce within the jurisdiction of this state.
(6) In the manufacture or packing of paints, colors, or white or red lead.
(7) In occupations causing dust in injurious quantities.
(8) In soldering, brazing, heat treating, or welding.
(9) In the building trades, except that individuals 14 or 15 years of age who are members of the immediate family of the contractor may be employed in trades involving nonhazardous duties or occupations.
(10) Repairing, painting, or cleaning buildings or structures while working at the top of ladders, lifts, or scaffolds exceeding a height of six feet.
(11) In connection with a junk or scrap metal yard.
(12) Assorting, manufacturing, or packing tobacco.
(13) Operating any automobile, truck, or motor vehicle, or flagging or directing traffic.
(14) In airport hangars or landing strips or taxi and maintenance aprons.
(15) In connection with any lumberyard.
(16) In any place or occupation which the department declares dangerous to life or limb or injurious to the health or morals of individuals under 16 years of age.
(17) Selling of fireworks, unless under the direct supervision of an individual at least 18 years of age.
(b)(1) This section does not apply to an individual 14 years of age or 15 years of age when both of the following are true:
a. The individual is enrolled in either a youth pre-apprenticeship program, youth industry-registry apprenticeship program, or similar program in which employment and work-based learning are an integral part of the course of study.
b. The program the individual is enrolled in is registered by the Alabama Office of Apprenticeship.
(2) This section does not apply to employment procured by an individual 14 years of age or 15 years of age when the employment is supervised through the Alabama Department of Education and approved by the Alabama Department of Labor.
Last modified: May 3, 2021