(a) The director may suspend or revoke an insurer's certificate of authority if, after a hearing, the director finds that the insurer has violated a lawful order of the director or a provision of this title other than those for which suspension or revocation is mandatory or has not paid any annual service fees assessed under AS 23.05.067 .
(b) The director shall, after a hearing, suspend or revoke an insurer's certificate of authority if the director finds that the insurer
(1) is in unsound condition, or in a condition, or using methods or practices in the conduct of its business, that render its further transaction of insurance in this state injurious or hazardous to its policyholders or to the public;
(2) has refused to be examined or to produce its accounts, records, and files for examination or that any of its officers have refused to give information with respect to its affairs, when required by the director;
(3) has failed to pay a final judgment rendered against it in this state within 30 days after the judgment became final; a judgment appealed from is not final until determined by the appellate court;
(4) with a frequency that indicates its general business practice in this state, has without just cause refused to pay proper claims arising under its policies, whether the claim is in favor of an insured or is in favor of a third person, or without just cause delays adjustment of claims, or compels the insured or claimant to accept less than the amount due them or to employ attorneys or to bring suit against the insurer or an insured to secure full payment or settlement of claims;
(5) is affiliated with and under the same general management or interlocking directorate or ownership as another insurer that transacts direct insurance in this state without having a certificate of authority, except as permitted for surplus line insurance under AS 21.34;
(6) has failed, after written request by the director, to remove or discharge an officer or director who has been convicted of a felony involving fraud, dishonesty, or moral turpitude.
(c) The director may, without advance notice or a hearing, immediately suspend the certificate of authority of an insurer against which proceedings for receivership, conservatorship, rehabilitation, or other delinquency proceedings, have been commenced in any state.Section: Previous 21.09.090 21.09.100 21.09.110 21.09.120 21.09.130 21.09.135 21.09.140 21.09.150 21.09.160 21.09.170 21.09.175 21.09.180 21.09.190 21.09.200 21.09.205 Next
Last modified: November 15, 2016