35-196.05. Public funding; family planning services; contracting with certain facilities; prohibition; enforcement; definitions
A. Subject to any applicable requirements of federal law, regulations or guidelines, any appropriation, expenditure or grant of public monies for family planning services by this state or any political subdivision of this state shall be made in the following order of priority:
1. To health care facilities that are owned or operated by this state or any political subdivision of this state.
2. To hospitals and federally qualified health centers.
3. To rural health clinics.
4. To health care providers whose primary area of practice is the provision of primary health services as enumerated in 42 United States Code section 254b(b)(1).
B. This state or any political subdivision of this state may not enter into a contract with or make a grant to any person that performs nonfederally qualified abortions or maintains or operates a facility where nonfederally qualified abortions are performed for the provision of family planning services.
C. The attorney general or the county attorney may bring an action in law or equity to enforce this section, and relief shall be made available in appropriate circumstances, including recoupment and declaratory and injunctive relief.
D. Any entity that is eligible for the receipt of public monies has standing to bring any action that the attorney general or the county attorney may bring pursuant to subsection C of this section, if the expenditure or grant of public monies has resulted in the reduction of public monies available to that entity.
E. Any monies that are recouped under actions taken pursuant to subsection C or D of this section shall revert to the fund from which the monies were appropriated or granted. A prevailing plaintiff under subsection C or D of this section shall be awarded reasonable attorney fees and costs.
F. For the purposes of this section:
1. " Abortion" has the same meaning prescribed in section 36-2151.
2. " Federally qualified health center" means a health care provider that is eligible for federal funding under 42 United States Code section 1396d(1)(2)(B).
3. " Hospital" means a primary or tertiary care facility licensed pursuant to title 36, chapter 4, article 2.
4. " Nonfederally qualified abortion" means an abortion that does not meet the requirements for federal reimbursement under title XIX of the social security act.
5. " Public monies" means state monies from whatever source, monies of a political subdivision from whatever source and federal monies provided under title X of the public health service act (42 United States Code sections 300 through 300a-8) and titles V, XIX and XX of the social security act.
6. " Rural health clinic" means a health care provider that is eligible to receive federal funding under 42 United States Code section 1395x(aa)(2).Section: Previous 35-193 35-193.02 35-196 35-196.01 35-196.02 35-196.03 35-196.04 35-196.05 35-197 35-211 35-212 35-213 35-214 35-215 35-301 Next
Last modified: October 13, 2016