17:9A-4. Capital stock and surplus
A. The capital stock of every bank hereafter organized shall amount to not less than:
(1) $100,000.00, if the population of the municipality wherein the principal office of the bank is to be located does not exceed 10,000;
(2) $150,000.00, if the population of such municipality exceeds 10,000, but does not exceed 50,000;
(3) $200,000.00, if the population of such municipality exceeds 50,000, but does not exceed 100,000;
(4) $300,000.00, if the population of such municipality exceeds 100,000, but does not exceed 200,000;
(5) $500,000.00, if the population of such municipality exceeds 200,000; provided that, if the certificate of incorporation states that the bank shall be authorized to exercise all or any of the powers specified in section 28, its capital stock shall be not less than $500,000.00.
B. If the commissioner shall find that the principal office of a bank will be located in a municipality which serves as a business or as a banking center for outlying districts not otherwise adequately provided with banking facilities, so that such bank will transact business with a substantial number of persons who do not reside in the said municipality; or if the commissioner shall find that, because of its location, a bank will transact a substantial part of its business with persons from a neighboring municipality or municipalities, the commissioner may, in his discretion, require that the capital stock with which such bank shall commence business, shall equal the minimum capital stock which would be required of the bank if its principal office were to be located in a municipality having a population equal to that of the combined populations of the municipality in which it is to be located and of the area, outside such municipality, which it will serve.
C. Every bank hereafter organized shall commence business with a surplus at least equal to 20% of its capital stock.
L.1948, c. 67, p. 181, s. 4. Amended by L.1965, c. 171, s. 1.
Section: Previous 17-9-46 17-9-47 17-9-48 17-9a-1 17-9a-2 17-9a-2.1 17-9a-3 17-9a-4 17-9a-5 17-9a-6 17-9a-6.1 17-9a-6.2 17-9a-6.3 17-9a-7 17-9a-8 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016