18A:73-22.3. Establishment of programs
3. a. The New Jersey Historical Commission within the Department of State shall establish:
(1) A program for the purpose of awarding grants from the fund established pursuant to subsection a. of section 4 of this act for general operating support to public or private historical libraries, history museums, historical societies, historic sites, historical agencies of county or local governments, or any related agency or organization; and
(2) A program for the purpose of awarding grants from the fund established pursuant to subsection a. of section 4 of this act to organizations, entities or individuals in support of research and publication on New Jersey history.
b. (1) The commission shall develop guidelines and criteria for each program established pursuant to subsection a. of this section. The guidelines and criteria shall include, but not be limited to: eligibility requirements for applicants; conditions under which applications will be approved; conditions which may be required to be met by approved applicants; forms for applications; application contents; an application acceptance and review process; the manner of awarding of monies to approved applicants; and oversight or accountability for the expenditure of monies awarded to approved applicants. The commission shall establish program guidelines and criteria and advertise the programs in such a way as to develop a pool of applicants that reflects the racial, ethnic, and geographical diversity of the State.
(2) The commission shall develop the guidelines and criteria for each program utilizing the definitions set forth in section 2 of this act and in consultation with: Advocates for New Jersey History; New Jersey State Archives; Association of New Jersey County Cultural and Historic Agencies; Division of Parks and Forestry, Department of Environmental Protection; Genealogical Society of New Jersey; Historic Preservation Office, Department of Environmental Protection; League of Historical Societies of New Jersey; Newark Public Library; New Jersey Association of Museums; New Jersey Caucus, Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference; New Jersey Council for the Humanities; New Jersey Council for the Social Studies; New Jersey Historic Trust; New Jersey Historical Society; New Jersey Library Association; New Jersey State Library; New Jersey State Museum; New Jersey Studies Academic Alliance; Northern New Jersey Museum Round Table; Preservation New Jersey; and Special Collections and University Archives, Rutgers University Libraries. In addition, the commission shall consult with at least three historians distinguished by their knowledge of New Jersey history and their record of publication in the field in developing the guidelines and criteria for the program established pursuant to paragraph (2) of subsection a. of this section.
c. (1) All applications received by the commission for grants to be awarded under the programs established pursuant to this section shall be reviewed and evaluated by a panel of reviewers selected by the commission. A separate panel of reviewers shall be selected for each program. The commission shall identify a pool of potential panel reviewers for each program and shall select from that pool the panel for each program to review the applications received for the program. Each panel shall be composed of persons who are experts in the area for which the program provides support. The panel of reviewers for each program shall evaluate each application received for a grant to be awarded under the program and make recommendations to the commission.
(2) The commission shall make the final decision on each application received, taking into consideration the recommendations of the panel of reviewers. The commission, may within its discretion, offer an approved applicant an award amount less than the amount requested by the applicant.
d. (1) The commission shall inform the public about the programs established pursuant to subsection a. of this section in a manner determined by the commission to result in as wide a dissemination of information as possible within the limits of monies available to the commission for this purpose. The commission may utilize such methods for the dissemination of information as may be available to State agencies for the dissemination of information on other such programs.
(2) At the request of the applicant, the commission shall provide advice, in any manner the commission deems appropriate, to interested applicants on the preparation of their applications.
Section: Previous 18a-73-20 18a-73-20.2 18a-73-20.3 18a-73-21 18a-73-22 18a-73-22.1 18a-73-22.2 18a-73-22.3 18a-73-22.4 18a-73-23 18a-73-24 18a-73-25 18a-73-25.1 18a-73-25.2 18a-73-25.3 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016