As used in this act, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
(1) "Municipality" shall mean any city of any class, any borough, village, town, township, or any other municipality other than a county or a school district;
(2) "Governing body" shall mean the commission, council, board or body, by whatever name it may be known, having charge of the finances of the municipality;
(3) "Person" shall mean any person, association, corporation, nation, State or any agency or subdivision thereof, municipality of the State or a port authority;
(4) "Port authority" shall mean a public body created pursuant to section four of this act;
(5) "District" shall mean the area within the territorial boundaries of the municipality or municipalities which created or joined in the creation of a port authority;
(6) "Local unit" shall mean any municipality which created or joined in the creation of a port authority;
(7) "Port facilities" shall mean harbor, port and shipping facilities of all kinds, including, but not limited to, harbors, channels, turning basins, anchorage areas, jetties, breakwaters, waterways, canals, locks, tidal basins, wharves, docks, piers, slips, bulkheads, public landings, warehouses, terminals, refrigerating and cold storage plants, terminal railway facilities, rolling stock car ferries, tugs, boats, conveyors and appliances of all kinds for the handling, storage, inspection and transportation of freight and the handling of passenger traffic; airport facilities of all kinds for land and sea planes, including, but not limited to, landing fields, hangars, shops, buses, trucks and all other facilities for the landing, taking off, servicing, and repairing and parking of aircraft, and the loading and unloading and handling of passengers, mail, express and freight; exhibition halls and markets; administration buildings; tunnels; causeways and bridges; and shall include all property, rights, easements and franchises relative to any such facilities and deemed necessary or convenient for the acquisition, construction or operation thereof.
(8) "Cost" shall mean, in addition to the usual connotations thereof, the cost of acquisition or construction of all or any part of port facilities and of all or any property, rights, easements and franchises deemed by a port authority to be necessary or useful and convenient therefor, including reimbursements to the port authority or any municipality or other person of any moneys theretofore expended for the purposes of the port authority and including interest or discount on bonds to finance such cost, engineering and inspection costs and legal expenses, the cost of financial, professional and other advice, and the cost of issuance of any such bonds;
(9) "Real property" shall mean lands both within and without the State, and improvements thereof or thereon, or any rights or interests therein;
(10) "Construct" and "construction" shall connote and include acts of construction, reconstruction, replacement, extension, improvement and betterment of port facilities;
(11) "Ordinance" means a written act of the governing body of a municipality adopted and otherwise approved and published in the manner or mode of procedure prescribed for ordinances tending to obligate such municipality pecuniarily; and
(12) "Resolution" means a written act of the governing body of a local unit adopted and otherwise approved in the manner or mode of procedure prescribed for resolutions tending to obligate such local unit pecuniarily.
(13) "Bonds" shall mean bonds or other obligations issued pursuant to this act.
L.1948, c. 349, p. 1380, s. 3, eff. Sept. 1, 1948.
Section: Previous 40-68-48 40-68-49 40-68-50 40-68-51 40-68-52 40-68a-1 40-68a-2 40-68a-3 40-68a-4 40-68a-5 40-68a-6 40-68a-7 40-68a-7.1 40-68a-7.2 40-68a-8 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016