40A:64-1. Certain Sunday sales prohibited
14. a. On Sunday, it shall be unlawful for any person whether it be at retail, wholesale or by auction, to sell, attempt to sell or offer to sell or to engage in the business of selling clothing or wearing apparel, building and lumber supply materials, furniture, home or business or office furnishings, household, business or office appliances, except as works of necessity and charity or as isolated transactions not in the usual course of the business of the participants.
b.Any person who violates any provision of this section is a disorderly person and upon conviction for the first offense, shall pay a fine of $250.00; and for the second offense, shall pay a fine of not less than $250.00 or more than $1,000.00 to be fixed by the court; and for the third offense, shall pay a fine of not less than $1,000.00 or more than $2,000.00 to be fixed by the court or, in the discretion of the court, may be imprisoned for a period of not more than 30 days, or both; and for the fourth or each subsequent offense, shall pay a fine of not less than $2,000.00 or more than $5,000.00 to be fixed by the court, or, in the discretion of the court, may be imprisoned for a period of not less than 30 days or more than six months, or both. A single sale of an article of merchandise of the character prohibited to any one customer, or a single offer to sell an article of such merchandise to any one prospective customer, shall be a distinct violation of this act. The directors, officers, managers, agents or employees of corporations shall be personally liable for these penalties.
c.In addition to the penalties provided for conviction under this section, upon any four convictions for violations of this section, the premises in or upon which the violation occurred shall be deemed a nuisance.
d.As used in this section:
(1) "Clothing and wearing apparel" includes any article or articles to be worn on the person by man, woman, or child as bodily covering or protection, including garments of all types, headwear and footwear.
(2) "Furniture" includes all articles of furniture used inside or outside a house or office, including chairs, tables, beds, desks, wardrobes, dressers, bureaus, cupboards, cabinets, bookcases, sofas, couches, and related items; and materials especially designed and prepared for assembly into furniture; and all such furniture, whether finished or unfinished, painted or unpainted.
(3) "Home furnishings" includes items of equipment and furnishings used in a home or office, such as floor coverings, lamps and lighting fixtures, household linens, drapes, blinds, curtains, mattresses, bed coverings, mirrors, china, kitchenware and kitchen utensils, silverware, cutlery.
(4) "Household appliances" includes stoves, heating devices, cooking equipment, refrigerators, air conditioning equipment, electric fans, clocks, radios, toasters, television sets, washing machines, dryers, and all such electrical and gas appliances used in the home.
(5) "Building and lumber supply materials" includes all items used in the construction of buildings, whether residential or industrial, and particularly, but not limited to lumber, cement, building blocks, sashes, frames, windows, doors and related items.
(6) "Sell" means to enter into an agreement whereby the seller transfers ownership of property in the goods or an interest in the goods to the purchaser for a consideration, whether or not the transfer is for immediate or future delivery, and whether or not the transaction is regarded as absolute, conditional or secured, and whether or not immediate consideration is paid therefor. The acceptance of a deposit for future delivery of any such merchandise, or an agreement for future delivery of any such merchandise, whether or not immediate consideration is paid therefor, shall also be deemed a sale for purposes of this act.
(7) "Offer to sell" means the acceptance of bids or proposals for the purchase of goods at a future date or the attempt to induce a sale as hereinabove defined, or the attempt to induce an immediate transfer of any such merchandise, but not to include advertising or display of any such merchandise, which merchandise is not available for purchase on Sunday.
(8) "Engage in selling" means the attempt to sell or to induce an immediate or future transfer of any such merchandise by describing, explaining, extolling or identifying any such merchandise while the seller is in personal contact with the potential purchaser.
Section: Previous 40a-63-5 40a-63-6 40a-63-7 40a-63-7.1 40a-63-8 40a-63-8.1 40a-63-9 40a-64-1 40a-64-2 40a-64-3 40a-64-4 40a-64-5 40a-65-1 40a-65-2 40a-65-3 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016