55:13A-7.9. Method or device, approval, requirements
2. a. Any method or device used, or intended to be used, for the indirect apportionment of heating costs in a multiple dwelling shall be subject to approval by the commissioner.
b. Except as provided in section 4 of this act, on and after the effective date of this act no method or device of measurement or calculation for the purpose of indirect apportionment of heating costs shall be installed or employed until the commissioner has certified, upon the basis of evidence and documentation presented in accordance with rules adopted pursuant to section 3 of this act, that:
(1) the method and any device proposed to be employed for that purpose are reliable and accurate;
(2) a schedule of inspection and maintenance sufficient to ensure the continued reliability and accuracy of the system will be maintained;
(3) the method of calculation and apportionment will result in an equitable distribution of heating costs among the dwelling units of the multiple dwelling upon the basis of actual usage;
(4) the system will incorporate a provision of individual thermostatic controls permitting heat usage in each dwelling unit to be varied by the tenants thereof;
(5) billing of heating costs to each dwelling unit shall include, for the period covered by each such billing, a statement of the actual fuel or current costs incurred during that period for the entire multiple dwelling and of the proportion thereof apportioned to each dwelling unit;
(6) no costs other than those for fuel or current be apportioned under this method.
c. Regulations adopted by the commissioner under authority of this act shall require adequate certification of the performance of inspection and maintenance pursuant to paragraph (2) of subsection b. of this section. Failure to maintain a required schedule of maintenance and inspection, or to correct promptly any failure or malfunction in the system of indirect apportionment of heating costs shall constitute a violation of the act to which this act is a supplement.
Section: Previous 55-13a-7.2 55-13a-7.3 55-13a-7.4 55-13a-7.5 55-13a-7.6 55-13a-7.7 55-13a-7.8 55-13a-7.9 55-13a-7.10 55-13a-7.11 55-13a-7.12 55-13a-7.12a 55-13a-7.13 55-13a-7.14 55-13a-7.15 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016