(a) Fund. - The University Cancer Research Fund is established as a special revenue fund in the Office of the President of The University of North Carolina. Allocations from the fund shall be made in the discretion of the Cancer Research Fund Committee and shall be used only for the purpose of cancer research under UNC Hospitals, the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, or both.
(b) Effective July 1 of each calendar year, the funds remitted to the University Cancer Research Fund by the Secretary of Revenue from the tax on tobacco products other than cigarettes pursuant to G.S. 105-113.40A are appropriated for this purpose.
(c) Cancer Research Fund Committee. - The Cancer Research Fund Committee shall consist of five ex officio members and two appointed members. The five ex officio members shall consist of the following: (i) one member shall be the Chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (ii) one member shall be the Director of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, (iii) one member shall be the Dean of the School of Medicine at The University of North Carolina, (iv) one member shall be the Dean of the School of Pharmacy at The University of North Carolina, and (v) one member shall be the Dean of the School of Public Health at The University of North Carolina. The remaining two members shall be appointed by a majority vote of the standing members of the Committee and shall be selected from persons holding a leadership position in a nationally prominent cancer program.
If any of the specified positions cease to exist, then the successor position shall be deemed to be substituted in the place of the former one, and the person holding the successor position shall become an ex officio member of the Committee.
(d) Chair. - The chair shall be the Chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
(e) Quorum. - A majority of the members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
(f) Meetings. - The Committee shall meet at least once in each quarter and may hold special meetings at any time and place at the call of the chair or upon the written request of at least a majority of its members.
(g) Report. - By November 1 of each year, the Cancer Research Fund Committee shall provide to the Joint Legislative Education Oversight Committee and to the Office of State Budget and Management an annual financial report which shall include the following components:
(1) Accounting of expenditures of State funds related to strategic initiatives, development of infrastructure, and ongoing administrative functions.
(2) Accounting of expenditures of extramural funds related to strategic initiatives, development of infrastructure, and ongoing administrative functions.
(3) Measures of impact to the State's economy in the creation of jobs, intellectual property, and start-up companies.
(4) Other performance measures directly related to the investment of State funds.
(5) Accounting of any fund balances retained by the Fund, along with information about any restrictions on the use of these funds. (2007-323, s. 6.23(b); 2009-451, s. 27A.5(e); 2010-31, s. 9.12; 2011-145, ss. 6.11(c), 9.4; 2013-360, s. 6.4(d).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014