Unless the context clearly requires another meaning, the following definitions apply in this Part:
(1) Fraternity or sorority. - A social, professional, or educational incorporated organization that, by official recognition, is affiliated or identified with a public or nonpublic institution of higher education in this State and which maintains a living facility that provides accommodations for five or more students enrolled at the recognition-granting institution of higher education.
(2) Fund. - The Fire Safety Loan Fund authorized by this Part.
(3) Living facility. - A sleeping facility capable of overnight accommodation and other capabilities which support continuous occupancy.
(4) Residence hall. - A living facility maintained by a public or nonpublic institution of higher education in North Carolina or by the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics for use by enrolled students.
(5) Supplemental fire safety protection system. - A water system capability which is sized to accommodate the added water supply pressure and volume required for building fire protection.
(6) Water system. -
a. A city, county, or sanitary district; or
b. A water and sewer authority, a metropolitan water district, or county water and sewer district, established pursuant to Chapter 162A of the General Statutes. (1996, 2nd Ex. Sess., c. 18, s. 16.5(a).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014