(a) The Commission on Workforce Development, acting as the lead agency, with the cooperation of other participating agencies, including the Department of Labor, the Department of Commerce, the Employment Security Commission, the North Carolina Community College System, The University of North Carolina, and the North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities shall initiate the "No Adult Left Behind" Initiative (Initiative) geared toward achievement of major statewide workforce development goals. The Initiative may also include community-based nonprofit organizations that provide services or assistance in the areas of worker training, workforce development, and transitioning North Carolinians between industries in the current global labor market.
(b) The first goal of the Initiative is to increase dramatically to forty percent (40%) the percentage of North Carolinians who earn associate degrees, other two-year educational credentials, and baccalaureate degrees. Specific fields of study may be selected for the most intense efforts. The Commission on Workforce Development shall, as the lead agency along with the North Carolina Community College System and The University of North Carolina as key cooperating institutions, do all of the following:
(1) Collaborate to provide model evening-weekend certificate and degree programs designed specifically for working adults and other nontraditional students.
(2) Work together to promote systemic changes designed to increase access and foster success among adult workers and other nontraditional students.
(3) Make it a priority to provide model evening-weekend certificate and degree programs in high-demand disciplines, occupations, and fields closely linked to economic development or that are the focus of public initiatives.
(c) The Commission on Workforce Development and the other lead participating institutions may enter into contracts with other qualified organizations, especially community-based nonprofits, to carry out components of the Initiative set forth in subsection (b) of this section.
(d) The Commission on Workforce Development shall submit to the Governor and to the General Assembly by May 1, 2012, and annually thereafter, details of its implementation of this section that shall include at least the following:
(1) Goals, objectives, and accomplishments for the year toward implementation of this section.
(2) An assessment of current adult educational programs to expand economic opportunities for adult workers as outlined by this section.
(3) Recommendations for policy, program, or funding changes to effectuate the workforce development, adult education, and economic development goals set forth in this section. (2011-327, ss. 2, 3(a)-(c).)
Sections: Previous 143B-437.91 143B-437.100 143B-437.101 143B-438.10 143B-438.11 143B-438.12 143B-438.13 143B-438.14 143B-438.15 143B-438.16 143B-438.17 143B-439 143B-440 through 143B-441 143B-442 143B-443 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014