In order to fulfill the purposes set forth in G.S. 148-129, the Section of Correction Enterprises of the Division of Adult Correction is authorized and empowered to take all actions necessary in the operation of its enterprises, including any of the following actions to:
(1) Develop and operate industrial, agricultural, and service enterprises either within prison facilities or outside the prison facilities.
(2) Plan and establish new industrial, agricultural, and service enterprises so long as any new enterprise is specifically approved by the Governor as required by G.S. 66-58(f).
(3) Employ inmates and any other personnel that may be necessary in the operation of Correction Enterprises.
(4) Expand, diminish, or discontinue any enterprise operating under its authority.
(5) Purchase any machinery, equipment, materials, and supplies required in the operation of its enterprises.
(6) Market and sell the goods and services produced by Correction Enterprises.
(7) Determine the prices at which products and services produced by inmate labor shall be sold.
(8) Execute and enter into contracts.
(9) Establish and operate an enterprise that complies with all applicable federal laws and guidelines required by the federal Prison Industry Enhancement Certification Program (Justice Assistance Act of 1984: Public Law 98-473, Section 819).
(10) Establish policies and procedures regarding the operation of Correction Enterprises.
(11) Take any action necessary and appropriate for the effective operation of its enterprises, so long as that action complies with applicable State and federal laws. (2007-280, s. 1; 2011-145, s. 19.1(j).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014