(a) Within the limits of funds available to it, and subject to the provisions of this Article and of the Town of Lake Lure municipal ordinance, the Commission may:
(1) Hire and fix the compensation of permanent and temporary employees and staff as it may consider necessary in carrying out its duties;
(2) Contract with consultants for such services as it may require;
(3) Contract with the State of North Carolina or the federal government, or any agency or department or subdivision of them, for property or services as may be provided to or by these agencies, and carry out the provisions of such contracts;
(4) Contract with persons, firms, and corporations generally as to all matters over which it has a proper concern, and carry out the provisions of such contracts;
(5) Lease, rent, purchase, or otherwise obtain suitable quarters and office space for its employees and staff, and lease, rent, purchase, or otherwise obtain furniture, fixtures, vehicles, uniforms, and other supplies and equipment necessary or desirable for carrying out the duties imposed in or under the authority of this Article; and
(6) Lease, rent, purchase, construct, otherwise obtain, maintain, operate, repair, and replace, either on its own or in cooperation with other public or private agencies or individuals, any of the following: boat docks, navigation aids, waterway markers, public information signs and notices, and other items of real and personal property designed to enhance public recreation, public safety on the waters of Lake Lure and its shoreline area, or protection of property in the shoreline area, subject, however, to the provisions of Chapter 113 of the General Statutes and rules promulgated under that Chapter as to property within North Carolina.
(b) The Commission may accept, receive, and disburse in furtherance of its functions any funds, grants, services, or property made available by the federal government or its agencies or subdivisions, or by private and civic sources.
(c) The Board of Commissioners of the Town of Lake Lure may appropriate funds to the Commission out of surplus funds or funds derived from nontax sources. It may appropriate funds out of tax revenues and may also levy annually taxes for the payment of such appropriation as a special purpose, in addition to any allowed by the North Carolina Constitution or as provided by G.S. 160A-209.
(d) The Commission shall be subject to such audit requirements as may be specified in the municipal ordinance.
(e) In carrying out its duties, and either in addition to or in lieu of exercising various provisions of the above authorizations, the Commission may, with the agreement of the Board of Commissioners of the Town of Lake Lure, utilize personnel and property of or assign responsibilities to any officer or employee of the Town of Lake Lure. Such contribution in kind, if substantial, may with agreement between the Board and the Commission be considered to substitute in whole or in part for the financial contribution required of the Town in support of the Commission. (2003-332, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014