(a) The Commission shall have no regulatory authority.
(b) To perform its duties and objectives, the Commission shall have the following powers:
(1) To develop rules and procedures for the conduct of its business or as may be necessary to perform its duties and carry out its objectives, including, but not limited to, selecting a chairman and vice-chairman, rotating chairmanships, calling meetings, and establishing voting procedures. Rules and procedures developed pursuant to this subdivision shall be effective upon an affirmative vote by a majority of the Commission members.
(2) To establish standing and ad hoc advisory committees pursuant to G.S. 77-94 and the Virginia Roanoke River Basin Advisory Committee established pursuant to Chapter 5.4 of Title 62.1 of the Code of Virginia, which shall be constituted in a manner to ensure a balance between recognized interests. The Commission shall determine the purpose of each advisory committee.
(3) To seek, apply for, accept, and expend gifts, grants and donations, services, and other aid from public or private sources. With the exception of funds provided by the planning district commissions, councils of governments, and commissions and funds appropriated by the General Assemblies of Virginia and North Carolina, the Commission may accept funds only after an affirmative vote by a majority of the members of the Commission or by following any other procedures that are established by the Commission for the conduct of its business.
(4) To establish a nonprofit corporation to assist in the details of administering its affairs and in raising funds.
(5) To enter into contracts and execute all instruments necessary or appropriate.
(6) To perform any lawful acts necessary or appropriate for the furtherance of its work. (2002-177, s. 1; 2012-200, s. 28(b).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014