(A) A traffic law violation for which a ticket is issued by a local authority pursuant to division (B)(3) of section 4511.093 of the Revised Code is a civil violation. If a local authority issues a ticket for such a violation, the ticket shall comply with the requirements of this section and the fine for such a ticket shall not exceed the amount of the fine that may be imposed for a substantially equivalent criminal traffic law violation.
(B) A local authority or its designee shall process such a ticket for a civil violation and shall send the ticket by ordinary mail to any registered owner of the motor vehicle that is the subject of the traffic law violation. The local authority or designee shall ensure that the ticket contains all of the following:
(1) The name and address of the registered owner;
(2) The letters and numerals appearing on the license plate issued to the motor vehicle;
(3) The traffic law violation charged;
(4) The system location;
(5) The date and time of the violation;
(6) A copy of the recorded images;
(7) The name and badge number of the law enforcement officer who was present at the system location at the time of the violation;
(8) The amount of the civil penalty imposed, the date by which the civil penalty is required to be paid, and the address to which the payment is to be sent;
(9) A statement signed by a law enforcement officer employed by the local authority indicating that, based on an inspection of recorded images, the motor vehicle was involved in a traffic law violation, and a statement indicating that the recorded images are prima facie evidence of that traffic law violation both of which may be signed electronically;
(10) Information advising the person or entity alleged to be liable of the options prescribed in section 4511.098 of the Revised Code, specifically to include the time, place, and manner in which an administrative appeal may be initiated and the procedure for disclaiming liability by submitting an affidavit as prescribed in that section;
(11) A warning that failure to exercise one of the options prescribed in section 4511.098 of the Revised Code is deemed to be an admission of liability and waiver of the opportunity to contest the violation.
(C) A local authority or its designee shall send a ticket not later than thirty days after the date of the alleged traffic law violation.
(D) The local authority or its designee may elect to send by ordinary mail a warning notice in lieu of a ticket under this section.
Added by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 342, §1, eff. 3/23/2015.Section: Previous 4511.0914 4511.0915 4511.092 4511.093 4511.094 4511.095 4511.096 4511.097 4511.098 4511.099 4511.10 4511.101 4511.102 4511.103 4511.104 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016