(A) The director of transportation, in accordance with 23 U.S.C.A. 109(d), 131(f), and 315, as amended, and by rule adopted pursuant to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall establish a program for the placement of business logos for identification purposes on state directional signs within the rights-of-way of divided, multi-lane, limited access highways in both rural and urban areas.
(1) The director, by rule adopted pursuant to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall establish, and may revise , a fee for participation in the business logo sign program. All direct and indirect costs of the business logo sign program established pursuant to this section shall be fully paid by the businesses applying for participation in the program. The direct and indirect costs of the program shall include, but not be limited to, the cost of capital, directional signs, blanks, posts, logos, installation, repair, engineering, design, insurance, removal, replacement, and administration.
(2) Money generated from participating businesses in excess of the direct and indirect costs and any reasonable profit earned by a person awarded a contract under division (C) of this section shall be remitted to the department.
(3) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prohibit the director from establishing such a program. If the department operates such a program and does not contract with a private person to operate it, all money collected from participating businesses shall be deposited and credited as prescribed in division (B)(2) of this section.
(C) The director, in accordance with rules adopted pursuant to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, may contract with any private person to operate, maintain, or market the business logo sign program. The contract may allow for a reasonable profit to be earned by the successful applicant. In awarding the contract, the director shall consider the skill, expertise, prior experience, and other qualifications of each applicant.
(D) As used in this section, "urban area" means an area having a population of fifty thousand or more according to the most recent federal census and designated as such on urban maps prepared by the department.
(E) In implementing this section, neither the department nor the director shall do either of the following:
(1) Limit the right of any person to erect, maintain, repair, remove, or utilize any off-premises or on-premises advertising device;
(2) Make participation in the business logo sign program conditional upon a business agreeing to limit, discontinue, withdraw, modify, alter, or change any advertising or sign.
(F) The program shall permit the business logo signs of a seller of motor vehicle fuel to include on the seller's signs a marking or symbol indicating that the seller sells one or more types of alternative fuel so long as the seller in fact sells that fuel.
As used in this division, "alternative fuel" has the same meaning as in section 125.831 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.96, SB 179, §1, eff. 7/3/2012.
Effective Date: 03-18-1999; 07-06-2006; 2008 HB562 (vetoed provisions) 09-22-2008Section: Previous 4511.094 4511.095 4511.096 4511.097 4511.098 4511.099 4511.10 4511.101 4511.102 4511.103 4511.104 4511.105 4511.106 4511.107 4511.108 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016