(1) The Department of Transportation is established.
(2) The Department of Transportation shall consist of the Director of Transportation and all personnel employed in the department. Except as otherwise provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, for purposes of administration, subject to the approval of the Oregon Transportation Commission, the director may organize and reorganize the department as the director considers necessary to properly conduct the work of the department.
(3) The department shall carry out policies adopted by the commission and all duties and responsibilities vested in it by law including, but not necessarily limited to, duties and responsibilities concerning drivers and motor vehicles, highways, motor carriers, public transit, rail and transportation safety.
(4) The director shall appoint an administrator for each area of critical concern to the department. The administrator shall be responsible for planning and operations in that area, for relationships between the department and persons affected by the operations of the area, for advocacy of the area within the department planning and operations processes and for such other duties as may be provided by law. For purposes of this subsection, “area of critical concern” includes, but is not necessarily limited to, driver and motor vehicle services, highways, motor carriers, public transit, rail and transportation safety. In appointing administrators under this subsection, the director shall consider recommendations of any advisory committee interested in the area of responsibility. Administrators appointed under this subsection are in the unclassified service for purposes of the State Personnel Relations Law.
(5) Whenever a duty or function is specifically given by statute to the director, and that duty or function involves day-to-day operations of an area of critical concern to the department, the director shall delegate the duty or function to the administrator of the area of critical concern. [1969 c.599 §2; 1973 c.249 §15; 1975 c.371 §5; 1979 c.186 §4; subsection (4) enacted as 1981 c.700 §2; 1983 c.324 §13; 1987 c.414 §88; 1989 c.904 §28; 1991 c.453 §1; 1993 c.741 §3; 1999 c.935 §15; 2003 c.27 §1; 2005 c.70 §1; 2007 c.768 §64]Section: Previous 184.580 184.590 184.595 184.610 184.611 184.612 184.613 184.615 184.616 184.617 184.618 184.619 184.620 184.622 184.625 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008