(1) There hereby is established and created the Public Employees Retirement Board, which shall administer the provisions of ORS 237.414 and 237.950 to 237.980, shall have powers and duties herein provided, and shall be comprised of five persons appointed by the Governor. The term of each appointee shall be four years.
(2) The board shall have the powers and privileges of a corporation, including the right to sue and be sued in its own name.
(3) Members of the board shall be citizens of the United States and residents of the State of Oregon for at least two years immediately preceding their appointment to the board. Two members shall not be employed by a public employer during their respective terms of office on the board or have been so employed during the two years immediately preceding appointment to the board. The other three members of the board shall be employees of public employers under Social Security coverage and so employed throughout the respective terms of their appointment. Any vacancy on the board shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired term of the member replaced.
(4) The successor of a board member in either group shall have the qualifications herein prescribed for such group.
(5) The board shall, at its first meeting of each fiscal year, designate one of its members to serve as chairperson of the board for the ensuing year and until a successor is designated and takes that office. The board shall hold meetings as frequently as may be necessary for the performance of its duties.
(6) Within the limitations of ORS 237.414 and 237.950 to 237.980, the board shall have the power to establish and enforce rules and regulations for transacting its business and administering ORS 237.414 and 237.950 to 237.980.
(7) Members of the board shall serve without compensation but shall be reimbursed for their necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties as such members. [1953 c.180 §9; 1953 c.521 §3; 1991 c.67 §57]Section: Previous 237.635 237.637 237.640 237.650 237.655 237.660 237.950 237.952 237.956 237.960 237.964 237.968 237.972 237.976 237.980 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008