As used in ORS 243.105 to 243.285, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Benefit plan” includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Contracts for insurance or other benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability and other health care recognized by state law, and related services and supplies;
(b) Comparable benefits for employees who rely on spiritual means of healing; and
(c) Self-insurance programs managed by the Public Employees’ Benefit Board.
(2) “Board” means the Public Employees’ Benefit Board.
(3) “Carrier” means an insurance company or health care service contractor holding a valid certificate of authority from the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, or two or more companies or contractors acting together pursuant to a joint venture, partnership or other joint means of operation, or a board-approved guarantor of benefit plan coverage and compensation.
(4)(a) “Eligible employee” means an officer or employee of a state agency who elects to participate in one of the group benefit plans described in ORS 243.135. The term includes state officers and employees in the exempt, unclassified and classified service, and state officers and employees, whether or not retired, who:
(A) Are receiving a service retirement allowance, a disability retirement allowance or a pension under the Public Employees Retirement System or are receiving a service retirement allowance, a disability retirement allowance or a pension under any other retirement or disability benefit plan or system offered by the State of Oregon for its officers and employees;
(B) Are eligible to receive a service retirement allowance under the Public Employees Retirement System and have reached earliest retirement age under ORS chapter 238;
(C) Are eligible to receive a pension under ORS 238A.100 to 238A.245, and have reached earliest retirement age as described in ORS 238A.165; or
(D) Are eligible to receive a service retirement allowance or pension under another retirement benefit plan or system offered by the State of Oregon and have attained earliest retirement age under the plan or system.
(b) “Eligible employee” does not include individuals:
(A) Engaged as independent contractors;
(B) Whose periods of employment in emergency work are on an intermittent or irregular basis;
(C) Who are employed on less than half-time basis unless the individuals are employed in positions classified as job-sharing positions, unless the individuals are defined as eligible under rules of the board or unless the individuals are employed as nurses or nursing educators;
(D) Appointed under ORS 240.309;
(E) Provided sheltered employment or make-work by the state in an employment or industries program maintained for the benefit of such individuals; or
(F) Provided student health care services in conjunction with their enrollment as students at the state institutions of higher education.
(5) “Family member” means an eligible employee’s spouse and any unmarried child or stepchild within age limits and other conditions imposed by the board with regard to unmarried children or stepchildren.
(6) “Payroll disbursing officer” means the officer or official authorized to disburse moneys in payment of salaries and wages of employees of a state agency.
(7) “Premium” means the monthly or other periodic charge for a benefit plan.
(8) “State agency” means every state officer, board, commission, department or other activity of state government. [1971 c.527 §1; 1979 c.302 §3; 1979 c.468 §30a; 1981 c.773 §1; 1983 c.640 §1; 1985 c.224 §2; 1985 c.635 §4; 1991 c.89 §1; 1997 c.222 §27; 1999 c.971 §3; 2003 c.640 §1; 2003 c.733 §68; 2007 c.789 §3]Section: Previous 243.045 243.050 243.055 243.060 243.061 243.066 243.070 243.105 243.107 243.110 243.115 243.120 243.125 243.130 243.135 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008