(1) Any contractor or subcontractor or contractor’s or subcontractor’s surety that violates the provisions of ORS 279C.840 is liable to the workers affected in the amount of their unpaid minimum wages, including all fringe benefits, and in an additional amount equal to the unpaid wages as liquidated damages.
(2) Actions to enforce liability to workers under subsection (1) of this section may be brought as actions on contractors’ bonds as provided for in ORS 279C.610.
(3) If a public agency fails to include a provision that the contractor and any subcontractor shall comply with ORS 279C.840 in the advertisement for bids, the request for bids, the contract specifications, the accepted bid or elsewhere in the contract documents, the liability of the public agency for unpaid minimum wages, as described in subsection (1) of this section, is joint and several with any contractor or subcontractor that had notice of the requirement to comply with ORS 279C.840.
(4) When a public works project is subject to the Davis-Bacon Act (40 U.S.C. 3141 et seq.) and a public agency fails to include the state and federal prevailing rates of wage in the specifications for the contract for public works as required under ORS 279C.830 (1)(a), or fails to include in the specifications information showing which prevailing rate of wage is higher for workers in each trade or occupation in each locality as required under ORS 279C.830 (1)(b), the public agency is liable to each affected worker for:
(a) The worker’s unpaid minimum wages, including fringe benefits, in an amount that equals, for each hour worked, the difference between the applicable higher rate of wage and the lower rate of wage; and
(b) An additional amount, equal to the amount of unpaid minimum wages due under paragraph (a) of this subsection, as liquidated damages.
(5) The Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries may enforce the provisions of subsections (3) and (4) of this section by a civil action under ORS 279C.850 (4), by a civil action on an assigned wage claim under ORS 652.330, or by an administrative proceeding on an assigned wage claim under ORS 652.332. [2003 c.794 §171; 2007 c.844 §6]Section: Previous 279C.817 279C.820 279C.825 279C.827 279C.830 279C.835 279C.836 279C.838 279C.840 279C.845 279C.850 279C.855 279C.860 279C.865 279C.870 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008