(1) Not later than November 10 of each even-numbered year the Governor shall cause the budget report to be compiled and prepared for printing.
(2) The budget report shall include a budget message prepared by the Governor, including recommendations of the Governor with reference to the fiscal policy of the state government for the coming biennium, describing the important features of the budget plan, embracing a general budget summary setting forth the aggregate figures of the budget report so as to show a balanced relation between the total proposed expenditures and the total anticipated income, with the basis and factors on which the estimates are made, the amount to be borrowed, and other means of financing the estimated expenditures for the ensuing biennium, compared with the corresponding figures for at least the last completed biennium and the current biennium.
(3) The budget plan shall be supported by explanatory schedules or statements, classifying the expenditures reported therein, both past and proposed, by organization units, objects and funds, and the income by organization units, sources and funds, and the proposed amount of new borrowing as well as proposed new tax or revenue sources, including a single comprehensive list of all proposed increases in fees, licenses and assessments assumed in the budget plan.
(4) The budget plan shall be submitted for all dedicated funds, as well as the state General Fund, and shall include the estimated amounts of federal and other aids or grants to state agencies or activities provided for any purpose whatever, together with estimated expenditures therefrom.
(5) The budget report shall embrace the detailed estimates of expenditures and revenues. It shall include statements of the bonded indebtedness of the state government, showing the actual amount of the debt service for at least the past biennium, and the estimated amount for the current biennium and the ensuing biennium, the debt authorized and unissued, the condition of the sinking funds and the borrowing capacity. It shall contain the Governorís recommendations concerning tax expenditures identified under ORS 291.214. It shall also contain any statements relative to the financial plan which the Governor may deem desirable or which may be required by the legislature.
(6) The budget plan shall use the estimated revenues under ORS 291.342 for the fiscal year in which the plan is submitted as the basis for total anticipated income under subsection (2) of this section, subject to such adjustment as may be necessary to reflect accurately projections for the next biennium.
(7) As supplemental information to the budget report, the Governor shall publish an existing level tentative budget plan for the two fiscal years for which the budget report is required. This summary budget shall reflect only existing revenues estimated under subsection (6) of this section; subject to such adjustment as may be necessary to reflect accurately projections for the next biennium. The supplemental information to the budget report shall be submitted at the same time as the budget report.
(8)(a) The budget report shall present information regarding the expenses of the state in the following categories:
(A) Personnel expenses, including compensation and benefits for state employees, but excluding costs of services contracted out and temporary service costs.
(B) Supplies, equipment and the costs of services contracted out.
(C) Capital construction.
(D) Capital outlay.
(E) Debt service.
(b) For each category described in paragraph (a) of this subsection, the report shall show actual expenditures to date.
(c) For each category described in paragraph (a) of this subsection, the report shall show:
(A) The amount of merit increases for the existing workforce.
(B) Increases for the cost of replacement and repair of supplies and equipment.
(C) Increases for the costs of new construction or major remodeling.
(D) Increases for the cost of inflation.
(d) The report shall show the total increase in the cost of salaries and benefits for all state positions.
(9) The budget report shall include:
(a) The total number of positions included in the budget.
(b) The average vacancy rate in the present biennium.
(c) The number of permanent, full-time equivalent vacancies, excluding academics, as of July 1 of even-numbered years.
(10) The budget report shall include computations showing budget figures as a percentage of the total General Fund, federal fund, fee or other source category, as may be appropriate.
(11) The budget report shall include, in a format that provides side-by-side comparison with the State Debt Policy Advisory Commission report of net debt capacity, a six-year forecast, by debt type and repayment source, of:
(a) That portion of the capital construction program required to be reported by ORS 291.224 that will be financed by debt issuance.
(b) The acquisition of equipment or technology in excess of $500,000 that will be financed by debt issuance.
(c) Other state agency debt issuance for grant or loan purposes.
(12) As supplemental information to the budget report, the Governor shall prepare an alternative budget plan for the two fiscal years for which the budget report is required and shall provide the alternative budget plan to the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the majority and minority leaders in the Senate and the House of Representatives. The alternative budget plan shall establish funding for each state agencyís programs and activities at 90 percent of the appropriations requested for the state agency in the budget report, excluding appropriations that are not made to fund recurring activities. For each state agency, the Governor shall describe the 10 percent reduction in appropriated moneys in terms of the activities or programs that the agency will not undertake. The activities or programs that are not undertaken as a result of the reductions in appropriated moneys made in the alternative budget plan shall be ranked in order of importance and priority on the basis of lowest cost for benefit obtained. [Amended by 1985 c.270 §2; 1993 c.724 §9; 1995 c.746 §68; 1995 c.787 §1; 1997 c.49 §3; 1997 c.249 §88; 1999 c.1091 §1]Section: Previous 291.203 291.204 291.206 291.208 291.210 291.212 291.214 291.216 291.218 291.220 291.222 291.223 291.224 291.226 291.228 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008