Upon compliance with ORS 307.162, the wastewater treatment facilities, sewage treatment facilities and all other property used for the purpose of wastewater treatment or sewage treatment, including the land underneath the facilities, shall be exempt from taxation if:
(1) Owned by a nonprofit corporation that was in existence as of January 1, 1997; and
(2) The nonprofit corporationís only activities consist of operating wastewater treatment and sewage treatment facilities that were constructed and in operation as of January 1, 1997. [1997 c.485 §2]
Note: Sections 1 to 4, chapter 256, Oregon Laws 2001, provide:
Sec. 1. (1) Upon compliance with section 3, chapter 256, Oregon Laws 2001, land that is used both as a golf course and for the discharge of wastewater or sewage effluent is exempt from the ad valorem property taxes of taxing districts authorizing the exemption under section 4, chapter 256, Oregon Laws 2001, if:
(a) The land is owned by a municipality and leased by a nonprofit corporation that was in existence as of January 1, 1997; and
(b) The nonprofit corporation operates the golf course.
(2) Buildings or other improvements that are located on land that is exempt from ad valorem property taxes under subsection (1) of this section and that are used in the operation of the golf course or the discharge of wastewater or sewage effluent are exempt from ad valorem property taxes of the taxing districts that authorized the exemption under section 4, chapter 256, Oregon Laws 2001. [2001 c.256 §1; 2003 c.771 §1]
Sec. 2. (1) Section 1 (1), chapter 256, Oregon Laws 2001, applies to tax years beginning on or after July 1, 1998, and before July 1, 2021.
(2) Section 1 (2), chapter 256, Oregon Laws 2001, applies to tax years beginning on or after July 1, 1999, and before July 1, 2021. [2001 c.256 §2; 2003 c.771 §2]
Sec. 3. (1) In order for land to be exempt from ad valorem property taxes under section 1 of this 2001 Act, the nonprofit corporation described in section 1 of this 2001 Act must apply to the county assessor. The statement required under ORS 307.162 to claim an exemption listed in ORS 307.162 (1) shall serve as the application to be filed with the county assessor to claim the exemption under section 1 of this 2001 Act.
(2) The application must be filed on or before July 1, 2002. The provisions for late filing described in ORS 307.162 do not apply to an application filed under this section.
(3) The application shall serve as the applicantís claim for exemption for all tax years described in section 2 of this 2001 Act for which, as of each assessment date, the applicant and property meet the criteria set forth in section 1 of this 2001 Act.
(4) The assessor shall approve each timely filed application in which the applicant and the land meet the criteria to be exempt under section 1 of this 2001 Act.
(5) Any property taxes and interest that have been paid on behalf of property granted the exemption under section 1 of this 2001 Act for a tax year beginning before January 1, 2002, shall be refunded in the manner prescribed in subsection (6) of this section. If the taxes have not been paid, the taxes and any interest due thereon are abated.
(6) The tax collector shall notify the governing body of the county of any refund required under this section and the governing body shall cause a refund of the taxes and any interest paid to be made from the unsegregated tax collections account described in ORS 311.385. The refund under this subsection shall be made without interest. The county assessor and tax collector shall make the necessary corrections in the records of their offices. [2001 c.256 §3]
Sec. 4. The exemption provided in section 1 of this 2001 Act applies only to the taxes of a taxing district the governing body of which has adopted an ordinance or resolution authorizing the exemption under section 1 of this 2001 Act. [2001 c.256 §4]Section: Previous 307.095 307.100 307.107 307.110 307.111 307.112 307.115 307.118 307.120 307.122 307.123 307.125 307.126 307.127 307.130 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008