(1) An agricultural producer who is in danger of foreclosure on agricultural property under ORS 86.010 to 86.990, 87.001 to 87.920 or 88.710 to 88.740 or a creditor, before or after beginning foreclosure proceedings, may request mediation of the agricultural producerís indebtedness by filing a request with the mediation service on a form provided by the service. However, an agricultural producer or creditor may not request mediation under this section unless, at the time the request is made, the agricultural producer owes more than $100,000 to one or more creditors, and the debt is either:
(a) Secured by one or more mortgages or trust deeds on the agricultural producerís agricultural property;
(b) Evidenced by a real estate contract covering the agricultural producerís agricultural property; or
(c) The subject of one or more statutory liens that have attached to the agricultural producerís agricultural property.
(2) In filing a mediation request, the agricultural producer shall provide:
(a) The name and address of each creditor;
(b) The amount claimed by each creditor;
(c) The amount of the periodic installment payments made to each creditor;
(d) Any financial statements and projected cash flow statements, including those related to any nonagricultural activities;
(e) The name of the person authorized to enter into a binding mediation agreement; and
(f) Any additional information the mediation service may require.
(3) In filing a mediation request, a creditor shall provide:
(a) Statements regarding the status of the agricultural producerís loan performance;
(b) The name and title of the representative of the creditor authorized to enter into a binding mediation agreement; and
(c) Any additional information the mediation service may require.
(4) Nothing in ORS 36.250 to 36.270 shall be construed to require an agricultural producer or creditor to engage or continue in the mediation of any dispute or controversy. Mediation under ORS 36.250 to 36.270 shall be entirely voluntary for all persons who are parties to the dispute or controversy, and if such persons agree to engage in mediation, any one of the persons may at any time withdraw from mediation.
(5) If an agricultural producer or a creditor files a mediation request with the mediation service, the service shall within 10 days after receipt of the request give written notice of the request to any other person who is identified in the request for mediation as parties to the dispute or controversy. The notice shall:
(a) Be accompanied by a copy of the request for mediation;
(b) Generally describe the mediation program created by ORS 36.250 to 36.270;
(c) Explain that participation in mediation is voluntary and that the recipient of the notice is not required to engage in mediation or to continue to mediate if mediation is initiated;
(d) Request that the recipient of the notice advise the mediation service in writing and by certified mail within 10 days as to whether the recipient wishes to engage in mediation; and
(e) Explain that if the written advice required under paragraph (d) of this subsection is not received by the mediation service within the 10-day period, the mediation request will be considered denied.
(6) If the person who receives the notice of request for mediation under subsection (5) of this section wishes to engage in mediation, the person shall advise the mediation service in writing within the 10-day period specified in subsection (5) of this section. The response shall include the appropriate information that the responding person would have been required to include in a request for mediation under subsection (2) or (3) of this section.
(7) If the person who receives notice of request for mediation under subsection (5) of this section does not wish to engage in mediation, the person may but shall not be required to so advise the mediation service.
(8) If the person who receives the notice of request for mediation under subsection (5) of this section does not advise the mediation service in writing within the 10-day period specified in the notice described in subsection (5) of this section that the person desires to mediate, the request for mediation shall be considered denied.
(9) The submission of a request for mediation by an agricultural producer or a creditor shall not operate to stay, impede or delay in any manner whatsoever the commencement, prosecution or defense of any action or proceeding by any person.
(10) If requested by the agricultural producer, the coordinator shall provide the services of a financial analyst to assist the agricultural producer in preparation of financial data for the first mediation session.
(11) ORS 36.250 to 36.270 are not applicable to obligations or foreclosure proceedings with respect to which the creditor is a financial institution, as defined in ORS 706.008. [1989 c.967 §5; 1995 c.277 §6; 1997 c.631 §566; 2005 c.22 §29]
Note: See note under 36.250.Section: Previous 36.234 36.236 36.238 36.245 36.250 36.252 36.254 36.256 36.258 36.260 36.262 36.264 36.266 36.268 36.270 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008