(1) The Director of Human Services, with the approval of the Governor, shall appoint at least 15 but not more than 20 members of a Mental Health Advisory Board, composed of both lay and professionally trained individuals, qualified by training or experience to study the problems of mental health and make recommendations for the development of policies and procedures with respect to the state mental health programs. The membership shall provide balanced representation of program areas and shall include persons who represent the interests of children. At least four members of the board shall be persons with disabilities who shall serve as the Disability Issues Advisory Committee which is hereby established. The members of the board shall serve for terms of four years and are entitled to compensation and expenses as provided in ORS 292.495. The director may remove any member of the board for misconduct, incapacity or neglect of duty.
(2) The Department of Human Services shall adopt rules specifying the duties of the board. In addition to those duties assigned by rule, the board shall assist the department in planning and preparation of administrative rules for the assumption of responsibility for psychiatric care in state and community hospitals by community mental health and developmental disabilities programs, in accordance with ORS 430.630 (3)(e).
(3) The board shall meet at least once each quarter.
(4) The director may make provision for technical and clerical assistance to the Mental Health Advisory Board and for the expenses of such assistance.
(5) The Disability Issues Advisory Committee shall meet at least once annually to make recommendations to the Mental Health Advisory Board.
(6) As used in this section, “person with a disability” means any person who:
(a) Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities;
(b) Has a record of such an impairment; or
(c) Is regarded as having such an impairment. [1961 c.706 §18; 1969 c.314 §36; 1969 c.597 §86; 1981 c.750 §12; 1989 c.116 §4; 1989 c.777 §1; 2007 c.70 §227]Section: Previous 430.010 430.020 430.021 430.030 430.040 430.041 430.050 430.060 430.065 430.070 430.071 430.073 430.075 430.078 430.080 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008