(1) The Restoration and Enhancement Board shall meet, adopt and recommend to the State Fish and Wildlife Commission, within 120 days after July 1, 1989, and at not more than 120-day intervals thereafter, fish restoration and enhancement programs.
(2) The commission shall review such programs and may approve or disapprove any or all program recommendations by the board. Funds may be expended from the subaccount referred to in ORS 496.283 for projects that have been approved by the commission.
(3) The State Department of Fish and Wildlife and the board jointly shall submit to each biennial session of the Legislative Assembly a report on expenditure of funds for the fish restoration and enhancement program and on the status of various projects.
(4) In recommending fish restoration and enhancement programs, the board shall:
(a) Recommend a mix of projects that provide a balance between restoration and enhancement benefits.
(b) Recommend projects that are to be implemented by the salmon and trout enhancement program and nonprofit organizations engaged in approved restoration and enhancement activities.
(c) Encourage projects that result in obtaining matching funds from other sources.
(5) All moneys made available for the fish restoration and enhancement program from surcharges received under sections 4, 6 and 8, chapter 512, Oregon Laws 1989, and from gifts and grants made to carry out the fish restoration and enhancement program may be expended only if recommended by the board and approved by the commission. Such amounts may be expended:
(a) On programs benefiting the commercial fishing industry in the same proportion as revenues received from surcharges under sections 6 and 8, chapter 512, Oregon Laws 1989, bear to the total amount of surcharge revenues.
(b) On programs benefiting recreational angling in the same proportion as revenues received from the surcharge under section 4, chapter 512, Oregon Laws 1989, bear to the total amount of surcharge revenues.
(6) The board may accept, from whatever source, gifts or grants for the purposes of fish restoration and enhancement. All moneys so accepted shall be deposited in the subaccount referred to in ORS 496.283. Unless otherwise required by the terms of a gift or grant, gifts or grants shall be expended as provided in subsection (5) of this section.
(7) As used in this section:
(a) “Enhancement” includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
(A) Angler access.
(B) New fishways and screens.
(D) New hatchery equipment and technology.
(E) Public education.
(F) Aquatic inventories.
(b) “Restoration” includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
(A) Modification of existing fishways and existing screens.
(B) Hatchery restoration.
(C) Liberation equipment. [1989 c.512 §12; 1997 c.8 §12]Section: Previous 496.260 496.265 496.270 496.275 496.280 496.283 496.286 496.289 496.291 496.300 496.303 496.305 496.306 496.310 496.311 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008