As used in ORS 646A.600 to 646A.628:
(1)(a) “Breach of security” means unauthorized acquisition of computerized data that materially compromises the security, confidentiality or integrity of personal information maintained by the person.
(b) “Breach of security” does not include good-faith acquisition of personal information by a person or that person’s employee or agent for a legitimate purpose of that person if the personal information is not used in violation of applicable law or in a manner that harms or poses an actual threat to the security, confidentiality or integrity of the personal information.
(2) “Consumer” means an individual who is also a resident of this state.
(3) “Consumer report” means a consumer report as described in section 603(d) of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681a(d)), as that Act existed on October 1, 2007, that is compiled and maintained by a consumer reporting agency.
(4) “Consumer reporting agency” means a consumer reporting agency as described in section 603(p) of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681a(p)) as that Act existed on October 1, 2007.
(5) “Debt” means any obligation or alleged obligation arising out of a consumer transaction, as defined in ORS 646.639.
(6) “Encryption” means the use of an algorithmic process to transform data into a form in which the data is rendered unreadable or unusable without the use of a confidential process or key.
(7) “Extension of credit” means the right to defer payment of debt or to incur debt and defer its payment offered or granted primarily for personal, family or household purposes.
(8) “Identity theft” has the meaning set forth in ORS 165.800.
(9) “Identity theft declaration” means a completed and signed statement documenting alleged identity theft, using the form available from the Federal Trade Commission, or another substantially similar form.
(10) “Person” means any individual, private or public corporation, partnership, cooperative, association, estate, limited liability company, organization or other entity, whether or not organized to operate at a profit, or a public body as defined in ORS 174.109.
(11) “Personal information”:
(a) Means a consumer’s first name or first initial and last name in combination with any one or more of the following data elements, when the data elements are not rendered unusable through encryption, redaction or other methods, or when the data elements are encrypted and the encryption key has also been acquired:
(A) Social Security number;
(B) Driver license number or state identification card number issued by the Department of Transportation;
(C) Passport number or other United States issued identification number; or
(D) Financial account number, credit or debit card number, in combination with any required security code, access code or password that would permit access to a consumer’s financial account.
(b) Means any of the data elements or any combination of the data elements described in paragraph (a) of this subsection when not combined with the consumer’s first name or first initial and last name and when the data elements are not rendered unusable through encryption, redaction or other methods, if the information obtained would be sufficient to permit a person to commit identity theft against the consumer whose information was compromised.
(c) Does not include information, other than a Social Security number, in a federal, state or local government record that is lawfully made available to the public.
(12) “Redacted” means altered or truncated so that no more than the last four digits of a Social Security number, driver license number, state identification card number, account number or credit or debit card number is accessible as part of the data.
(13) “Security freeze” means a notice placed in a consumer report, at the request of a consumer and subject to certain exemptions, that prohibits the consumer reporting agency from releasing the consumer report for the extension of credit unless the consumer has temporarily lifted or removed the freeze. [2007 c.759 §2]Section: Previous 646A.504 646A.506 646A.508 646A.510 646A.512 646A.514 646A.600 646A.602 646A.604 646A.606 646A.608 646A.610 646A.612 646A.614 646A.616 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008