(1) Each applicant shall submit with the application and shall continually maintain thereafter a bond approved by the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries. The amount of the bond and the security behind the bond shall be $15,000 or the amount specified in ORS 658.415, whichever is greater. This bond shall satisfy the bond required by ORS 658.415. If there is an unsatisfied judgment of a court or final decision of an administrative agency against an indorsee applicant, the subject of which is any matter which would be covered by the bond referred to in this subsection, the commissioner shall not issue an indorsement to the applicant until the judgment or decision is satisfied. As a condition of indorsement, the commissioner may require the applicant to submit proof of financial ability required by this subsection in an amount up to three times that ordinarily required of an indorsee applicant. In lieu of the bond required by this subsection, each applicant may file with the commissioner, under the same terms and conditions as when a bond is filed, a deposit in cash or negotiable securities acceptable to the commissioner.
(2) All bonds or deposits filed under this section shall be executed to cover liability for the period for which the indorsement is issued. During the period for which executed, no bond can be canceled or otherwise terminated.
(3) Any person who suffers any loss specified in subsection (9) of this section shall have a right of action in the name of the person against the surety upon the bond or against the deposit with the commissioner:
(a) The right of action is assignable and must be included with the claim, or of a judgment thereon.
(b) The right of action shall not be included in any suit or action against the farmworker camp operator but must be exercised independently after first procuring a judgment or other form of adequate proof of liability established by rule establishing the farmworker camp operator’s liability for the claim.
(4) The surety company or the commissioner shall make prompt and periodic payments on the farmworker camp operator’s liability up to the extent of the total sum of the bond or deposit. Payments shall be made in the following manner:
(a) Payment shall be made based upon priority of wage claims over any other claims.
(b) Payment shall be made in full of all sums due to each person who presents adequate proof of the claim.
(c) If there are insufficient funds to pay in full the person next entitled to payment in full, such person will be paid in part.
(5) No person shall bring any suit or action against the surety company or the commissioner on the bonding obligation or as trustee for the beneficiaries of the indorsee under any deposit made pursuant to this section unless the person has first exhausted the procedures contained in subsections (3) and (6) of this section and contends that the surety company or the commissioner still has funds which are applicable to the person’s judgment or acknowledgment.
(6) All claims against the bond or deposit shall be unenforceable unless request for payment of a judgment or other form of adequate proof of liability or a notice of the claim has been made by certified mail to the surety company or the commissioner within six months from the end of the period for which the bond or deposit was executed and made.
(7) If the commissioner has received no notice as provided in subsection (6) of this section within six months after a farm labor contractor is no longer required to provide and maintain a surety bond or deposit, the commissioner shall terminate and surrender any bond or any deposit under the control of the commissioner to the person who is entitled thereto upon receiving appropriate proof of such entitlement.
(8) Every indorsee required by this section to furnish a surety bond, or make a deposit in lieu thereof, shall keep conspicuously posted in an exterior area of the camp which is open to all employees and in a manner easily visible to occupants of and visitors to the camp, a notice in both English and any other language used by the indorsee to communicate with workers specifying the indorsee’s compliance with the requirements of this section and specifying the name and Oregon address of the surety on the bond or a notice that a deposit in lieu of the bond has been made with the commissioner, together with the address of the commissioner.
(9) The bond or deposit referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be payable to the commissioner and shall be conditioned upon:
(a) All sums legally owing to any person when the indorsee or the indorsee’s agents have received such sums;
(b) All damages occasioned to any person by reason of any material misrepresentation, fraud, deceit or other unlawful act or omission by the indorsee, or the indorsee’s agents or employees acting within the scope of their employment; and
(c) All sums legally owing to any employee of the indorsee. [1989 c.962 §5; 1993 c.723 §2; 2003 c.576 §535]Section: Previous 658.620 658.630 658.705 658.715 658.717 658.720 658.730 658.735 658.740 658.750 658.755 658.760 658.780 658.785 658.790 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008