(1) Any person claiming to be aggrieved by an alleged unlawful practice may file with the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries a verified written complaint that states the name and address of the person alleged to have committed the unlawful practice. The complaint may be signed by the complainant or the attorney for the complainant. The complaint must set forth the acts or omissions alleged to be an unlawful practice. The complainant may be required to set forth in the complaint such other information as the commissioner may require. Except as provided in ORS 654.062, a complaint under this section must be filed no later than one year after the alleged unlawful practice.
(2) A complaint may not be filed under this section if a civil action has been commenced in state or federal court alleging the same matters.
(3) If an employer has one or more employees who refuse or threaten to refuse to abide by the provisions of this chapter or to cooperate in carrying out the purposes of this chapter, the employer may file with the commissioner a verified complaint requesting assistance by conciliation or other remedial action.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, the commissioner shall notify the person against whom a complaint is made within 30 days of the filing of the complaint. The commissioner shall include in the notice the date, place and circumstances of the alleged unlawful practice.
(5) The commissioner shall notify the person against whom a complaint alleging an unlawful practice under ORS 659A.145 or 659A.421 or discrimination under federal housing law is made within 10 days of the filing of the complaint. The commissioner shall include in the notice:
(a) The date, place and circumstances of the alleged unlawful practice; and
(b) A statement that the person against whom the complaint is made may file an answer to the complaint. [2001 c.621 §2; 2007 c.71 §214; 2007 c.903 §6]
Note: See second note under 659A.003.Section: Previous 659A.420 659A.421 659A.424 659A.800 659A.805 659A.810 659A.815 659A.820 659A.825 659A.830 659A.835 659A.840 659A.845 659A.850 659A.855 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008