(1) The Oregon State Board of Nursing is authorized to issue certificates of special competency to licensed registered nurses to practice as nurse practitioners if they meet the requirements of the board pursuant to ORS 678.380.
(2) No person shall practice as a nurse practitioner or hold oneself out to the public or to an employer, or use the initials, name, title, designation or abbreviation as a nurse practitioner until and unless such person is certified by the board.
(3) A registered nurse, certified as a nurse practitioner, is authorized to complete and sign death certificates. Death certificates signed by a certified nurse practitioner shall be accepted as fulfilling all the requirements of the laws dealing with death certificates. A certified nurse practitioner who signs a death certificate must comply with all provisions of ORS 432.307.
(4) A registered nurse, certified as a nurse practitioner, is authorized to prescribe drugs for the use of and administration to other persons if approval has been given under ORS 678.390. The drugs which the nurse practitioner is authorized to prescribe shall be included within the certified nurse practitioner’s scope of practice as defined by rules of the board subject to ORS 678.385.
(5) The dispensing of certain limited medications prescribed by a nurse practitioner in accordance with the formulary established under ORS 678.385 and dispensed by a licensed pharmacist or an employee thereof may be filled by a pharmacist according to the terms of the prescription. The filling of such a prescription shall not constitute evidence of negligence on the part of the pharmacist if the prescription was dispensed within the reasonable and prudent practice of pharmacy.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) “Drug” means medicines and preparations for internal or external use of human beings which are recognized in the formulary adopted pursuant to ORS 678.385.
(b) “Prescribe” means to direct, order or designate the preparation, use of or manner of using by spoken or written words or other means. [1975 c.205 §8; 1979 c.785 §1; 1993 c.469 §9; 1993 c.571 §28; 2001 c.357 §1; 2001 c.623 §5]Section: Previous 678.340 678.350 678.360 678.362 678.366 678.370 678.372 678.375 678.380 678.385 678.390 678.395 678.410 678.420 678.425 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008