(1) A person or governmental unit commits the offense of unlawful operation of an unlicensed ambulance if, on and after July 1, 1983, or the offense of unlawful operation of an unlicensed ambulance service if, on and after July 1, 1994, the person or governmental unit advertises or operates in this state a motor vehicle, aircraft or watercraft ambulance that:
(a) Is not operated by an ambulance service licensed under this chapter;
(b) Is not licensed under this chapter; and
(c) Does not meet the minimum requirements established under this chapter by the Department of Human Services in consultation with the State Emergency Medical Service Committee for that type of ambulance.
(2) As used in this section, “governmental unit” and “person” have the meaning given those terms in ORS 682.025.
(3) This section does not apply to any ambulance or any person if the ambulance or person is exempted by ORS 682.035 or 682.079 from regulation by the Department of Human Services.
(4) Authority of political subdivisions to regulate ambulance services or to regulate or allow the use of ambulances is limited under ORS 682.031.
(5) The offense described in this section, unlawful operation of an unlicensed ambulance or ambulance service, is a Class A misdemeanor. Each day of continuing violation shall be considered a separate offense.
(6) In addition to the penalties prescribed by subsection (5) of this section, the Department of Human Services may impose upon a licensed ambulance service a civil penalty not to exceed $5,000 for each violation of this chapter and the rules adopted thereunder. Each day of continuing violation shall be considered a separate violation for purposes of this subsection. [Formerly 682.015]Section: Previous 682.039 682.040 682.041 682.043 682.045 682.047 682.050 682.051 682.055 682.056 682.060 682.062 682.063 682.065 682.066 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008