(1) The Physical Therapist Licensing Board shall operate as a semi-independent state agency subject to ORS 182.456 to 182.472, for purposes of carrying out the provisions of ORS 688.010 to 688.201 and 688.990 (1). The Physical Therapist Licensing Board shall consist of seven members appointed by the Governor who may be appointed from a list of not fewer than nine names, submitted by the Oregon Physical Therapy Association. Five members shall be physical therapists who are Oregon residents, possess unrestricted licenses to practice physical therapy in this state, have been practicing in this state for at least two years immediately preceding their appointments and have been practicing in the field of physical therapy for at least five years. One member shall be a licensed physical therapist assistant. One member shall be a public member who has an interest in consumer rights. All members shall have equal voting privileges.
(2) Upon the expiration of the term of a member of the board, the Governor shall appoint a successor who may be appointed from a list of three names submitted to the Governor by the Oregon Physical Therapy Association to serve a term of four years. A member may not serve for more than two consecutive four-year terms.
(3) In the event of a vacancy in the office of a member of the board other than by reason of the expiration of a term, the Governor, not later than 90 days after the occurrence of the vacancy, shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy for the unexpired term. The person may be appointed from a list of three names submitted as provided in subsection (2) of this section. If requested by the board, the Governor may remove any member of the board for misconduct, incompetence or neglect of duty.
(4) Each member of the board is entitled to compensation and expenses as provided in ORS 292.495.
(5) A board member who acts within the scope of board duties, without malice and in reasonable belief that the memberís action is warranted by law, is immune from civil liability.
(6) The board shall have power to:
(a) Establish matters of policy affecting administration of ORS 688.010 to 688.201;
(b) Provide for examinations for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants and adopt passing scores for the examinations;
(c) Adopt rules necessary to carry out and enforce the provisions of ORS 688.010 to 688.201;
(d) Establish standards and tests to determine the qualifications of applicants for licenses to practice physical therapy in this state;
(e) Issue licenses to persons who meet the requirements of ORS 688.010 to 688.201;
(f) Adopt rules relating to the supervision and the duties of physical therapist aides who assist in performing routine work under supervision;
(g) Adopt rules establishing minimum continuing education requirements for all licensees;
(h) Exercise general supervision over the practice of physical therapy within this state;
(i) Establish and collect fees for the application or examination for, or the renewal, reinstatement or duplication of, a license under ORS 688.040, 688.080 or 688.100 or for the issuance of a temporary permit under ORS 688.110; and
(j) Establish and collect fees to carry out and enforce the provisions of ORS 688.010 to 688.201.
(7) The board shall meet as determined by the board and at any other time at the call of the board chairperson, who shall be elected by the members of the board.
(8) The board may appoint and fix the compensation of an executive director and other staff as necessary to carry out the operations of the board.
(9) The board shall:
(a) Maintain a current list of all persons regulated under ORS 688.010 to 688.201, including the personsí names, current business and residential addresses, telephone numbers, electronic mail addresses and license numbers.
(b) Provide information to the public regarding the procedure for filing a complaint against a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant.
(c) Publish at least annually, and in a format or place determined by the board, final disciplinary actions taken against physical therapists and physical therapist assistants and other information, including rules, in order to guide physical therapists and physical therapist assistants regulated pursuant to ORS 688.010 to 688.201. [1959 c.461 §17; 1969 c.339 §17; 1971 c.585 §16; 1971 c.650 §38; 1973 c.792 §43; 1975 c.111 §12; 1985 c.41 §5; 1993 c.387 §1; 1999 c.1084 §26; 2005 c.627 §13]Section: Previous 688.130 688.132 688.134 688.135 688.140 688.145 688.150 688.160 688.170 688.180 688.190 688.200 688.201 688.210 688.220 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008