(1) Within 30 business days from the date of receipt of a written request from an individual to correct, amend or delete any recorded personal information about the individual within its possession, an insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization shall either:
(a) Correct, amend or delete the portion of the recorded personal information in dispute; or
(b) Notify the individual of:
(A) Its refusal to make the correction, amendment or deletion;
(B) The reasons for the refusal; and
(C) The individual’s right to file a statement as provided in subsection (3) of this section.
(2) If the insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization corrects, amends or deletes recorded personal information in accordance with subsection (1) of this section, the insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization shall so notify the individual in writing and furnish the correction, amendment or fact of deletion to:
(a) Each person specifically designated by the individual who may have, within the preceding two years, received the recorded personal information;
(b) Each insurance-support organization whose primary source of personal information is insurers, if the insurance-support organization has systematically received recorded personal information from the insurer within the preceding seven years. However, the correction, amendment or fact of deletion need not be furnished if the insurance-support organization no longer maintains recorded personal information about the individual; and
(c) Each insurance-support organization that furnished the recorded personal information that has been corrected, amended or deleted.
(3) Whenever an individual disagrees with an insurer’s, insurance producer’s or insurance-support organization’s refusal to correct, amend or delete recorded personal information, the individual shall be permitted to file with the insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization:
(a) A concise statement setting forth what the individual thinks is the correct, relevant or fair information; and
(b) A concise statement of the reasons why the individual disagrees with the insurer’s, insurance producer’s or insurance-support organization’s refusal to correct, amend or delete recorded personal information.
(4) In the event an individual files either or both of the statements described in subsection (3) of this section, the insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization shall:
(a) File the statements with the disputed personal information and provide a means by which anyone reviewing the disputed personal information will be made aware of the individual’s statements and have access to them;
(b) In any subsequent disclosure by the insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization of the recorded personal information that is the subject of the disagreement, clearly identify the matter or matters in dispute and provide the individual’s statements along with the recorded personal information being disclosed; and
(c) Furnish the statements to the persons and in the manner specified in subsection (2) of this section.
(5) The rights granted to individuals by this section shall extend to all natural persons to the extent information about them is collected and maintained by an insurer, insurance producer or insurance-support organization in connection with an insurance transaction. The rights granted to all natural persons by this subsection shall not extend to information about them that relates to and is collected in connection with or in reasonable anticipation of a claim or a civil or criminal proceeding involving them.
(6) For purposes of this section, the term “insurance-support organization” does not include “consumer reporting agency.” [1981 c.649 §11; 2003 c.364 §160]Section: Previous 746.615 746.620 746.625 746.630 746.632 746.635 746.640 746.645 746.650 746.655 746.660 746.661 746.662 746.663 746.665 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008