(1) An insurer that issues personal insurance policies in this state may not cancel or nonrenew a policy of personal insurance based in whole or in part on a consumerís credit history or insurance score.
(2) If, prior to January 1, 2004, an insurer has assigned a consumer to a less favorable rating category for a policy of personal insurance based in whole or in part on the consumerís credit history or insurance score, the consumer may request, no more than once annually, that the insurer rerate the consumer according to the standards that the insurer would apply to the consumer if the consumer were initially applying for the same personal insurance on or after January 1, 2004.
(3) An insurer that receives a request under subsection (2) of this section may not consider that the consumer was assigned to a less favorable rate category when the insurer rerates the consumer.
(4) If an insurer uses disputed credit history to determine eligibility for coverage of personal insurance and places a consumer with an affiliate that charges higher premiums or offers less favorable policy terms:
(a) The insurer shall rerate the policy retroactive to the effective date of the current policy term; and
(b) The policy, as reissued or rerated, shall provide the premiums and policy terms for which the consumer would have been eligible if accurate credit history had been used to determine eligibility.
(5) If an insurer charges higher premiums due to disputed credit history, the insurer shall rerate the policy retroactive to the effective date of the current policy term. As rerated, the insurer shall charge the consumer the same premiums the consumer would have been charged if accurate credit history had been used to calculate an insurance score.
(6) Subsections (4) and (5) of this section apply only if the consumer resolves the credit dispute under the process set forth in the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681) and notifies the insurer in writing that the dispute has been resolved.
(7) Except as provided in subsections (2), (4) and (5) of this section, an insurer may only use rating factors other than credit history or insurance score to rerate the policy at renewal. [2003 c.788 §7]Section: Previous 746.640 746.645 746.650 746.655 746.660 746.661 746.662 746.663 746.665 746.668 746.670 746.675 746.680 746.685 746.686 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008