ORS 750.505 to 750.715 do not apply to the following arrangements:
(1) Retainer contracts made by an attorney or firm of attorneys with a specific individual, pursuant to which fees are based on reasonable estimates of the nature and amount of services to be provided, and similar contracts made by an attorney or firm of attorneys with a group of clients involved in the same or closely related legal matters.
(2) Any two-party agreement providing for the delivery of specified legal services in return for a specified payment including an administrative fee, whereby an arrangement is made between an attorney or firm of attorneys and a group of individuals who are all members of the same bona fide nonprofit membership organization or group of individuals who are all employed by the same employer, the primary purpose of which is other than the provision of legal services. Such groups of individuals may be but are not limited to churches, trade groups, credit unions or associations. Under such an arrangement no third party such as a legal expense organization or sales or marketing representative may be involved in receiving any of the specified payments or in overseeing the delivery of the specified legal services.
(3) Referral of individual clients to an attorney to the extent that such referral is provided by a nonprofit lawyer referral service or public corporation such as a state or local bar association, so long as there is no charge for such referral.
(4) Employee welfare benefit plans to the extent that state regulation is preempted by Section 514 of the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, or successor legislation.
(5) Legal assistance plans financed primarily by public funds, interest on lawyers trust accounts funds under the regulation of the Oregon State Bar or other public service funds.
(6) Authorized insurers offering legal expense insurance in this state. [1989 c.331 §4]Section: Previous 750.335 750.337 750.339 750.340 750.341 750.505 750.515 750.525 750.535 750.545 750.555 750.565 750.575 750.585 750.595 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008