This section establishes registration fees for vehicles. If there is uncertainty as to the classification of a vehicle for purposes of the payment of registration fees under the vehicle code, the Department of Transportation may classify the vehicle to assure that registration fees for the vehicle are the same as for vehicles the department determines to be comparable. The registration fees for the vehicle shall be those based on the classification determined by the department. Except as otherwise provided in this section, or unless the vehicle is registered quarterly, the fees described in this section are for an entire registration period for the vehicle as described under ORS 803.415. The department shall apportion any fee under this section to reflect the number of quarters registered for a vehicle registered for a quarterly registration period under ORS 803.415. The fees are payable when a vehicle is registered and upon renewal of registration. Except as provided in ORS 801.041 (3) and 801.042 (7), the fee shall be increased by any amount established by the governing body of a county or by the governing body of a district, as defined in ORS 801.237 under ORS 801.041 or 801.042 as an additional registration fee for the vehicle. The fees for registration of vehicles are as follows:
(1) Vehicles not otherwise provided for in this section or ORS 821.320, $27 for each year of the registration period.
(2) Mopeds, $15 for each year of the registration period.
(3) Motorcycles, $15 for each year of the registration period.
(4) Government-owned vehicles registered under ORS 805.040, $3.50.
(5) State-owned vehicles registered under ORS 805.045, $3.50 on registration or renewal.
(6) Undercover vehicles registered under ORS 805.060, $3.50 on registration or renewal.
(7) Antique vehicles registered under ORS 805.010, $54.
(8) Vehicles of special interest registered under ORS 805.020, $81.
(9) Electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles that use electricity and another source of motive power, as follows:
(a) The registration fee for an electric or hybrid vehicle not otherwise described in this subsection is $27 for each year of the registration period.
(b) The registration fee for electric or hybrid vehicles that have two or three wheels is $27. This paragraph does not apply to electric or hybrid mopeds. Electric or hybrid mopeds are subject to the same registration fee as otherwise provided for mopeds under this section.
(c) The registration fees for the following electric or hybrid vehicles are the same as for comparable nonelectric vehicles described in this section plus 50 percent of such fee:
(A) Motor homes.
(B) Commercial buses.
(C) Vehicles registered as farm vehicles under ORS 805.300.
(D) Vehicles required to establish registration weight under ORS 803.430 or 826.013.
(10) Motor vehicles required to establish a registration weight under ORS 803.430 or 826.013, and commercial buses as provided in the following chart, based upon the weight submitted in the declaration of weight prepared under ORS 803.435 or 826.015:
Weight in PoundsFee
(11)(a) Motor vehicles with a registration weight of more than 8,000 pounds that are described in ORS 825.015, that are operated by a charitable organization as defined in ORS 825.017 (14), that are certified under ORS 822.205 or that are used exclusively to transport manufactured structures, as provided in the following chart:
Weight in PoundsFee
(b) The owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (a) of this subsection must certify at the time of initial registration, in a manner determined by the department by rule, that the motor vehicle will be used exclusively to transport manufactured structures or exclusively as described in ORS 822.210, 825.015 or 825.017 (14). Registration of a vehicle described in paragraph (a) of this subsection is invalid if the vehicle is operated in any manner other than that described in the certification under this paragraph.
(12) Trailers registered under permanent registration, $10.
(13) Fixed load vehicles as follows:
(a) If a declaration of weight described under ORS 803.435 is submitted establishing the weight of the vehicle at 3,000 pounds or less, $54.
(b) If no declaration of weight is submitted or if the weight of the vehicle is in excess of 3,000 pounds, $75.
(14) Trailers for hire that are equipped with pneumatic tires made of an elastic material and that are not travel trailers or trailers registered under permanent registration, $27.
(15) Trailers registered as part of a fleet under an agreement reached pursuant to ORS 802.500, the same as the fee for vehicles of the same type registered under other provisions of the Oregon Vehicle Code.
(16) Travel trailers, campers and motor homes as follows, based on length as determined under ORS 803.425:
(a) For travel trailers or campers that are 6 to 10 feet in length, $81.
(b) For travel trailers or campers over 10 feet in length, $81 plus $6.75 a foot for each foot of length over the first 10 feet.
(c) For motor homes that are 6 to 14 feet in length, $54.
(d) For motor homes over 14 feet in length, $126 plus $7.50 a foot for each foot of length over the first 10 feet.
(17) Special use trailers as follows, based on length as determined under ORS 803.425:
(a) For lengths 6 to 10 feet, $54.
(b) For special use trailers over 10 feet in length, $54 plus $3 a foot for each foot of length over the first 10 feet.
(18) Fees for vehicles with proportional registration under ORS 826.009, or proportioned fleet registration under ORS 826.011, are as provided for vehicles of the same type under this section except that the fees shall be fixed on an apportioned basis as provided under the agreement established under ORS 826.007.
(19) For any vehicle that is registered under a quarterly registration period, a minimum of $15 for each quarter registered plus an additional fee of $1.
(20) In addition to any other fees charged for registration of vehicles in fleets under ORS 805.120, the department may charge the following fees:
(a) A $2 service charge for each vehicle entered into a fleet.
(b) A $1 service charge for each vehicle in the fleet at the time of renewal.
(21) The registration fee for vehicles with special registration for disabled veterans under ORS 805.100 is a fee of $15.
(22) Subject to subsection (19) of this section, the registration fee for motor vehicles registered as farm vehicles under ORS 805.300 is as follows based upon the registration weight given in the declaration of weight submitted under ORS 803.435:
Weight in PoundsFee
(23) The registration fee for school vehicles registered under ORS 805.050 is $7.50.
(24) The registration fee for a low-speed vehicle is $54.
(25) A rental or leasing company, as defined in ORS 221.275, that elects to initially register a vehicle for an annual or biennial registration period shall pay a fee of $1 in addition to the vehicle registration fee provided under this section.
(26) Racing activity vehicles registered under ORS 805.035, $81. [1983 c.338 §226; 1985 c.16 §85; 1985 c.177 §2; 1985 c.189 §2; 1985 c.245 §2; 1985 c.253 §4; 1985 c.401 §6; 1985 c.547 §13; 1987 c.6 §2; 1987 c.25 §3; 1987 c.440 §3; 1987 c.750 §7; 1989 c.43 §23; 1989 c.723 §§8,8a; 1989 c.864 §7; 1989 c.865 §§7,7a,7b,7c,7d,7e,7f; 1989 c.992 §§11,11a,11b,11c; 1991 c.284 §17; 1991 c.497 §13; 1991 c.880 §10; 1993 c.174 §7; 1993 c.662 §3; 1993 c.751 §23a; 1995 c.447 §3; 2001 c.124 §3; 2001 c.293 §6; 2003 c.589 §7; 2003 c.618 §2; 2003 c.655 §112; 2005 c.280 §3; 2007 c.664 §1; 2007 c.693 §3d]Section: Previous 803.380 803.385 803.400 803.405 803.410 803.415 803.417 803.420 803.425 803.430 803.435 803.440 803.445 803.450 803.455 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008