This section establishes registration periods for vehicles. The registration periods are periods described under ORS 803.400. Except as provided in the following, the registration period for any vehicle registered in this state by the Department of Transportation is a biennial registration period:
(1) The following vehicles have permanent registration:
(a) Antique vehicles registered under ORS 805.010.
(b) Vehicles of special interest registered under ORS 805.020.
(c) Trailers that will be operated on the highways at a loaded weight of more than 8,000 pounds and are not travel trailers, fixed load vehicles or special use trailers.
(2) Government-owned vehicles registered under ORS 805.040 have ownership registration.
(3) The following vehicles may be registered under annual or quarterly registration unless the vehicles are registered under proportional registration under ORS 826.009 or proportional fleet registration under ORS 826.011:
(a) Vehicles required to establish a registration weight under ORS 803.430.
(b) Commercial buses.
(c) Vehicles registered as farm vehicles under ORS 805.300.
(4) Snowmobiles are registered as provided in ORS 821.080.
(5) Vehicles operated by dealers who hold certificates under ORS 822.020 are as provided under ORS 822.040.
(6) Trailers for hire that will be operated at a loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or less may be registered as follows:
(a) Annual registration; or
(b) If registered under an agreement pursuant to ORS 802.500, for a period of time determined as specified in the agreement or as determined by the department.
(7) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (10) of this section, the registration period for electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles that use electricity and another source of motive power is a biennial registration period except that the registration period for the following electric or hybrid vehicles is an annual registration period:
(a) Commercial buses.
(b) Electric or hybrid vehicles registered as farm vehicles under ORS 805.300.
(c) Vehicles required to establish registration weight under ORS 803.430.
(8) Vehicles registered under ORS 805.100 have an ownership registration period.
(9) School vehicles registered under ORS 805.050 have ownership registration except that the registration shall continue to be valid if ownership of the vehicle is transferred to a person who continues to use the vehicle for purposes authorized by ORS 805.050.
(10) The following vehicles have a four-year registration period:
(a) New vehicles registered under ORS 803.420 (1) for which new registration plates will be issued;
(b) New mopeds registered under ORS 803.420 (2) for which new registration plates will be issued;
(c) New motorcycles registered under ORS 803.420 (3) for which new registration plates will be issued; and
(d) New vehicles registered under ORS 803.420 (9)(a) for which new registration plates will be issued.
(11) A rental or leasing company, as defined in ORS 221.275, may elect an annual, a biennial or a four-year registration period for the initial registration of a new vehicle registered under ORS 803.420 (1) or (9)(a) for which new registration plates will be issued if the company owns the vehicle that is being registered. The subsequent renewal or reregistration periods for the vehicle are biennial. [1983 c.338 §225; 1985 c.16 §84; 1985 c.177 §1; 1985 c.189 §1; 1985 c.547 §12; 1987 c.158 §162; 1987 c.217 §2; 1989 c.43 §22; 1989 c.723 §7; 1989 c.991 §26; 1991 c.284 §16; 1991 c.407 §27; 1993 c.174 §6; 1995 c.774 §12; 1999 c.977 §20; 2001 c.124 §1; 2001 c.293 §9; 2003 c.655 §111; 2005 c.280 §2]Section: Previous 803.370 803.375 803.380 803.385 803.400 803.405 803.410 803.415 803.417 803.420 803.425 803.430 803.435 803.440 803.445 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008