As appropriate, the driver or the owner, or both, are exempt from the requirement under ORS 806.200 to make a future responsibility filing if the person claiming exemption furnishes to the Department of Transportation proof of any of the following:
(1) At the time of the accident the driver was operating a vehicle owned by or leased to and operated under the direction of the United States of America, this state or any municipality or subdivision thereof.
(2) At the time of the accident the vehicle was lawfully parked.
(3) Such liability as may arise from the driver’s operation of the vehicle involved in the accident was covered by some form of liability insurance which complies with the financial responsibility requirements.
(4) The owner of the vehicle involved in the accident was a self-insurer under ORS 806.130.
(5) The vehicle involved in the accident was being operated under a permit issued by the department under ORS chapter 825.
(6) At the time of the accident the owner’s vehicle was being operated without the owner’s permission, expressed or implied, or was parked by a person who had been operating such vehicle without the owner’s permission unless the vehicle at the time of its taking had been left unattended in a condition prohibited by a regulation or ordinance designed to prevent the operation of vehicles by unauthorized persons. This subsection only exempts owners of vehicles who qualify.
(7) At the time of the accident, the driver was operating a vehicle owned, operated or leased by the driver’s employer with the permission of that employer. This subsection only exempts drivers of vehicles. Owners remain subject as provided under ORS 806.200. [1983 c.338 §856; 1995 c.733 §87; 2003 c.175 §7]Section: Previous 806.150 806.160 806.170 806.180 806.190 806.195 806.200 806.210 806.220 806.230 806.240 806.245 806.250 806.255 806.260 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008