Each of the following is a requirement for reflectors as indicated:
(1) The following are the colors for the indicated type of reflector:
(a) Rear reflectors and rearward side reflectors shall be red.
(b) Forward side reflectors and intermediate side reflectors shall be amber.
(2) The following types of reflectors shall be placed as indicated:
(a) Rear reflectors shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle. If more than one rear reflector is required under ORS 816.320 and 816.330, there shall be at least one rear reflector on either side of the rear of the vehicle. On pole trailers, rear reflectors may be mounted on each side of the bolster or load.
(b) Forward side reflectors shall be mounted on the side of the vehicle near the front of the vehicle.
(c) Intermediate side reflectors shall be mounted on the side of the vehicle at or near the midpoint between the forward side reflectors and the rearward side reflectors.
(d) Rearward side reflectors shall be mounted on the side of the vehicle near the rear of the vehicle.
(3) Reflectors shall be mounted on a vehicle at a height not less than 15 inches and not more than 60 inches above the ground on which the vehicle stands.
(4) Reflectors shall be of such size or characteristics and so mounted and maintained as to be readily visible at night within 500 feet to 50 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlights.
(5) Reflectors required to be mounted on the sides of the vehicle shall reflect the required color of light to the sides and those mounted on the rear shall reflect the required color to the rear.
(6) Reflectors required under ORS 816.320 and 816.330 shall be mounted, so far as practicable, in such manner as to reduce the hazard of being obscured by mud or dust thrown by the wheels.
(7) Reflectors that are required under ORS 816.320 and 816.330 must be mounted, adjusted and aimed in accordance with standards adopted by the Department of Transportation.
(8) Reflectors that are required under ORS 816.320 and 816.330 and any part for such reflectors that tends to change the original design or performance must be of a type that complies with standards adopted by the department under ORS 816.010.
(9) Rear reflectors may be constructed either as a separate reflector or as part of and incorporated with the taillights. [1983 c.338 §458 (15); 1985 c.16 §240 (15); 1985 c.69 §1 (15); 1985 c.71 §4 (15); 1985 c.393 §13 (15); 1985 c.420 §6 (15); 2003 c.158 §27]Section: Previous 816.110 816.120 816.130 816.140 816.150 816.160 816.170 816.180 816.190 816.200 816.210 816.220 816.230 816.240 816.250 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008