(1) Subject to the provisions of subsections (3) and (4) of this section, each railroad shall pay to the Department of Transportation in each year, such fee as the department finds and determines to be necessary, with the amount of all other fees paid or payable to the department by such railroads in the current calendar year, to defray the costs of performing the duties imposed by law upon the department in respect to such railroads and to pay such amounts as may be necessary to obtain matching funds to implement the program referred to in ORS 824.058.
(2) In each calendar year the percentage rate of the fee required to be paid shall be determined by orders entered by the department on or after March 1 of each year, and notice thereof shall be given to each railroad. Such railroad shall pay to the department the fee or portion thereof so computed upon the date specified in such notice, which date shall be at least 15 days after the date of mailing such notice.
(3) Fifty percent of the cost of carrying out the duties, functions and powers imposed upon the department by ORS 824.200 to 824.256 shall be paid from the Grade Crossing Protection Account.
(4) The department shall determine the gross operating revenues derived within this state in the preceding calendar year by Class I railroads as a whole and by other railroads individually subject to the following limitations:
(a) The total of the fees payable by Class I railroads shall not exceed thirty-five hundredths of one percent of the combined gross operating revenues of Class I railroads derived within this state. The fee paid by each Class I railroad shall bear the same proportion to the total fees paid by Class I railroads as such railroad’s share of railroad-highway crossings, track miles and gross operating revenues derived within the state, weighted equally, bears to the total amount of Class I railroad-highway crossings within the state, track miles within the state and gross operating revenues derived within the state.
(b) The fees payable by other railroads shall not exceed thirty-five hundredths of one percent of any such railroad’s gross operating revenues.
(5) Payment of each fee or portion thereof provided for in subsections (1) to (4) of this section shall be accompanied by a statement verified by the railroad involved showing its gross operating revenues upon which such fee or portion thereof is computed. This statement shall be in such form and detail as the Department of Transportation shall prescribe and shall be subject to audit by the department. The department may refund any overpayment of any such fee in the same manner as other claims and expenses of the department are payable as provided by law. [1995 c.733 §§29,30]Section: 824.010 824.012 824.014 824.016 824.018 824.019 824.020 824.022 824.024 824.026 824.028 824.030 824.040 824.042 824.045 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008