§ 2574. Controlling person or group safe harbor.
(a) Nonparticipant.--For the purpose of this subchapter, a person or group shall not be deemed a controlling person or group, absent significant other activities indicating that a person or group should be deemed a controlling person or group, by reason of voting or giving a proxy or consent as a shareholder of the corporation if the person or group is one who or which:
(1) did not acquire any voting shares of the corporation with the purpose of changing or influencing control of the corporation or seeking to acquire control of the corporation or in connection with or as a participant in any agreement, arrangement, relationship, understanding or otherwise having any such purpose;
(2) if control were acquired, would not be a person or group or a participant in a group that has control over the corporation and will not receive, directly or indirectly, any consideration from a person or group that has control over the corporation other than consideration offered proportionately to all holders of voting shares of the corporation; and
(3) if a proxy or consent is given, executes a revocable proxy or consent given without consideration in response to a proxy or consent solicitation made in accordance with the applicable rules and regulations under the Exchange Act under circumstances not then reportable on Schedule 13d under the Exchange Act (or any comparable or successor report) by the person or group who gave the proxy or consent.
(b) Certain holders.--For the purpose of this subchapter, a person or group shall not be deemed a controlling person or group under paragraph (1)(i) of the definition of "controlling person or group" in section 2573 (relating to definitions) if such person or group holds voting power:
(1) in good faith and not for the purpose of circumventing this subchapter, as an agent, bank, broker, nominee or trustee for one or more beneficial owners who do not individually or, if they are a group acting in concert, as a group have the voting power specified in paragraph (1)(i) of the definition of "controlling person or group" in section 2573;
(2) in connection with the solicitation of proxies or consents by or on behalf of the corporation in connection with shareholder meetings or actions of the corporation; or
(3) in the amount specified in paragraph (1)(i) of the definition of "controlling person or group" in section 2573 as a result of the solicitation of revocable proxies or consents with respect to voting shares if such proxies or consents both:
(i) are given without consideration in response to a proxy or consent solicitation made in accordance with the applicable rules and regulations under the Exchange Act; and
(ii) do not empower the holder thereof, whether or not this power is shared with any other person, to vote such shares except on the specific matters described in such proxy or consent and in accordance with the instructions of the giver of such proxy or consent.
(c) Preference shares.--In determining whether a person or group would be a controlling person or group within the meaning of this subchapter, there shall be disregarded voting power, and the seeking to acquire control of a corporation to the extent based upon voting power arising from a contingent right of the holders of one or more classes or series of preference shares to elect one or more members of the board of directors upon or during the continuation of a default in the payment of dividends on such shares or another similar contingency.
(Dec. 19, 1990, P.L.834, No.198, eff. imd.)
1990 Amendment. Act 198 renumbered section 2573.1 to section 2574 and added subsec. (c) and renumbered former section 2574 to present section 2575.
Cross References. Section 2574 is referred to in section 2573 of this title.Section: Previous 2565 2566 2567 2568 2571 2572 2573 2574 2575 2576 2581 2582 2583 2585 2586 Next
Last modified: October 8, 2016