§ 19.2-249.2. Venue for prosecution of computer crimes.
For the purpose of venue under the Virginia Computer Crimes Act (§ 18.2-152.1 et seq.), any violation of the article shall be considered to have been committed in any county or city:
1. In which any act was performed in furtherance of any course of conduct that violated this article;
2. In which the owner has his principal place of business in the Commonwealth;
3. In which any offender had control or possession of any proceeds of the violation or of any books, records, documents, property, financial instrument, computer software, computer program, computer data, or other material or objects that were used in furtherance of the violation;
4. From which, to which, or through which any access to a computer or computer network was made whether by wires, electromagnetic waves, microwaves, optics or any other means of communication;
5. In which the offender resides; or
6. In which any computer that is an object or an instrument of the violation is located at the time of the alleged offense.
(2005, cc. 746, 761, 827.)Sections: Previous 19.2-245.1 19.2-245.2 19.2-246 19.2-247 19.2-248 19.2-249 19.2-249.1 19.2-249.2 19.2-250 19.2-251 19.2-252 19.2-253 19.2-254 19.2-254.1 19.2-254.2 Next
Last modified: April 16, 2009